How to repot a cyclamen?

kimkitchyMarch 22, 2010

Hi,

I've had a red cyclamen in a 4 inch pot on my kitchen widow sill for years. It blooms profusely and we really enjoy it. Now, it has become rather "stalky" and has two "stalks". I'd like to repot it, but am afraid of killing it. I don't really want a bigger pot because I love that it fits on the window sill. Should I repot it? If so, what is the best time of year to do it? If so, what is the best way to repot it without harming it?

Thanks!

-Kim

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

Since a Cyclamen is a bulb/tuber, I imagine that you'd treat it like other bulbs/tubers.
I wait until the plant is dormant - which seems to be during the hot, late summer for me.
Last summer, I transplanted a white cyclamen in the yard, and it is now opening its flowers.

Re-pot when it gets a bit bedraggled, water, and it should stir back to life.

Josh

Bookmark   March 22, 2010 at 11:42AM
kimkitchy

OK. But, maybe my question is even more basic. What do I do about the "stalkiness"? Do I break off half the roots in order to bury the stalk in the same size (4 inch pot) and still have some roots? Or do I break off the top and stick just the stalk in the soil, hoping the stalk sprouts roots? Or do I break off the top and repot just the tuber? The stalkiness is kind of ugly. How best do I repot it?

Bookmark   March 22, 2010 at 1:43PM
tommyr_gw

When it dies back as it gets warmer cut all the foliage off. Don't worry about the "stalkiness". That usually means not enough light. When it starts to grow again later on give it a bit more light.

Bookmark   March 23, 2010 at 8:16PM
More Discussions
Is my pothos dying?
I bought a beautiful verigated pothos a few weeks ago...
Avantika
April Flowers
Happy April fools! Let's see your flowers! I for once...
MrBlubs
Recommended general fertilizer for house plants?
I have a few different green leafy things, random cuttings,...
sunnyvalley
pepperomia plant how to grow?
I would like some help on caring for a Pepperomia plant....
muffy1954
What is the difference between solid green and Hawaiian spider plant?
Hi everyone, i'm in the market for a solid green spider...
Diana Kilgannon
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™