I like China Dolls (Radermachera sinica)..........

elkay_gwMarch 27, 2013

but they don't like me. :( I can't seem to get them to thrive even tho everything I read about them says they are easy to grow.

I've tried them by a south window, 68 to 72 degrees, humidity about 50%, where them seem ok for a while and then gradually lose leaves. I try to maintain even moistness of soil - maybe I let the soil dry out too much. Also tried an east window and west window with slightly cooler temps and no drafts - no luck.

What's the secret?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
teengardener1888(NY Albany 5a)

I have never got to see this plant in real life

Bookmark   March 27, 2013 at 2:55PM
buyorsell888(Zone 8 Portland OR)

Plant outside in San Diego, some great specimens at the San Diego Zoo. ;) sorry.

They always defoliate here so assuming they want brighter light and higher humidity than is found in most homes.

Bookmark   March 27, 2013 at 9:26PM
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

If you haven't noticed them wilting from dry soil - odds are very high the problem is over-watering. I grew one for several years in a shallow container on our kitchen table (low humidity) in front of a south and a west window - both had some kind of prissy curtains on it ..... so in medium light, I'd say. It was a little leggier than it should have been, but I wasn't partial to that particular plant because of the compound leaves (not a bonsai candidate), so I gave it away. They are pretty easy and forgiving, so there is some part of the puzzle missing - most probably a soil or nutritive issue.

Al

Bookmark   March 27, 2013 at 10:18PM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL(8B AL)

DH says this is his favorite plant of my collection, and I love it too. When outside, it goes in full sun. Like most trees, eager to grow new leaves if the old ones get mites, too dry, sun burned, or frost bitten (yes, voice of experience.) If this winter ever ends, maybe you could put it outside.

Bookmark   March 28, 2013 at 10:01AM
More Discussions
Moisture Meter?
I have a mechanical moisture meter, and it has increasingly...
trclac
Aglaonema - help
I bought this red aglaonema couple of months back....
bluehaven_gweb
mini indoor palm tree dilemma help please!
Hey guys, I have a mini palm tree in my bedroom. It...
queenofhearts3
Pothos Problems
My poor pothos is struggling. I've attached a few pictures,...
mwhcrew32
Advice for house plant --- very little sunshine, pics included
Would any of these plants work for a bedroom that gets...
bob131313
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™