Spots on Lady Palm

megank413March 3, 2011

Hello!

I have a beautiful Lady Palm that my husband and I love. There are some spots on the leaves that are starting to concern me. They have been there pretty much since we got the plant about a year ago and I've never had any problems with them. I had to pull off a leaf with some of the spots on it because it was dying this morning and now I'm paranoid. Here are some pics:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/60179460@N02/5494355875/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/60179460@N02/5494355841/in/photostream/

Any ideas what's causing the spots? I water the plant about every 1-1.5 weeks and always test the soil before I water. I also make sure there is no standing water in the tray after watering (I've had many plants suffer root rot, so I've learned my lesson... hopefully).

Thanks so much in advance!

Megan

PS- Please let me know if there are any problems with copying/pasting the links. This is my first time providing links to pictures.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
birdsnblooms

Megan. Your links work fine.

When you test the soil, how deep do you insert finger/stake to determine if the soil has dried?

The spots don't look like a bacterial disease.

Unless it's genetic, is it possible you're over-watering?
What size is the container? Toni

Bookmark   March 3, 2011 at 1:34PM
megank413

Thanks for the reply Toni. The pot is 12 inches, which is about an inch bigger than the one it came in. When I water, I stick my finger in up to my second knuckle, which is about an inch and a half. I haven't seen any other signs of over-watering (leaf curl, leaf yellowing, wilting, stems getting mushy, etc). Can spots be a sign of over-watering?

There's one group of leaves that have had spots as long as I can remember, but they haven't taken over the leaf. I'm just worried that the spots are what caused my one leaf to dry up. Is it something to worry about if it's a genetic problem?

Thanks again, Megan.

Bookmark   March 3, 2011 at 3:28PM
birdsnblooms

Hi Megan. I hate to sound like the voice of doom, but if it's genetic, yes, it is a problem.
'I've bought plants with genetic issues before. They'll survive, but need extra care.'

Does the entire palm have spots or one section/stem? I viewed your pictures, but it was hard to tell. Toni

Bookmark   March 4, 2011 at 3:57PM
More Discussions
Can anyone ID this tree?
It's about 8' tall, a normal 'tree shape'. We got it...
laura242424
Only 1/2 of a schefflera remaining...
4 years ago, I adopted this schefflera from a bank...
greenintrigue
Who am I?
I was at WM and this fellow was on clearance and jumped...
savannaicus
I believe this is a corn plant... it's blooming and very frangrant!
I recently acquired this house plant from someone that...
kinziestarr
Worried about my Philodendren, Please help!
Hi there everyone. I loved the help that I got about...
huskymom87
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™