Foliage Pro 9-3-6 or Osmocote time release?

francienolanMarch 15, 2013

Hi, I've started growing a few potted plants after a long hiatus and I'm kinda stumped on plant food. After doing a bit of research, I've narrowed it down to either Foliage Pro or the Osmocote timed release pellet thingies (though I'm open to other suggestions as well). Which do you all think is best overall for houseplants? I have several peace lilies, a spider plant, a couple of pothos, a peperomia, a draecena, and a dieffenbachia.

I'm attracted to the idea of the timed release but if it's better for the plants, will do the FP each time I water. Any input would be appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

If it's one or the other, I'd go with Foliage Pro, which offers a more complete formula and will give you greater control over nutrition.

I personally use both. I add Osmocote to certain mixes when made (such as tomato, pepper, vegetable mixes), and then transition to heavier doses of Foliage Pro as the season progresses. I prefer the 4-month slow-release.

Josh

Bookmark   March 15, 2013 at 5:03PM
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

I agree - I like the control & don't mind the little extra bit of effort. If you do use a CRF, choose one with close to a 2:1:2 or 3:1:2 NPK RATIO (like 18-6-12, 19-6-9, or 15-9-12 would be would be), and try to be sure it also contains the micronutrients.

Bookmark   March 15, 2013 at 10:21PM
Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia

Hello Everyone,

Like Josh and AL, This is the best for me!!

So... I agree as well... ;-)

I also love the Foliage Pro and Pro Tekt. It makes it so much easier to me to make my mix and to know when and how much i give to my trees.

Simple formula and very user friendly!!!!

Good Luck!!

Laura

Bookmark   March 16, 2013 at 11:30PM
francienolan

Thanks for the input. I'm a little confused though. I thought that one of the quickest ways to kill a plant is to over fertilize. But you all recommend two different kinds of fertilize. Would you help me understand this? I would think that adding another fertilizer on top of the time released Osmocote would be too much. Do you use a lot less of each than recommended? Sorry to be so dense.

Bookmark   March 17, 2013 at 8:28AM
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

It's a valid question. Many growers include a starter charge or a small amount of a favored CRF (controlled release fertilizer) formulation either when they establish the planting or at the beginning of the growth cycle, in spring. Then they fertilize regularly with low doses of some other type of fertilizer. I do this occasionally with bonsai material I want to develop quickly.

Over-fertilizing can cause unwanted types of growth, depending on what elements are supplied in excess, or it can make it difficult to impossible for the plant to take up an adequate volume of water. In extreme cases, it can reverse the flow of water that usually moves from outside to inside the plant's cells, and cause cellular collapse (fertilizer burn/plasmolysis).

Al

Bookmark   March 17, 2013 at 12:12PM
More Discussions
Diatomaceous Earth vs. Fired Clay in Gritty Mix
I've seen Napa Floor-Dry (8822), which is diatomaceous...
kwie2011
Hawaiian Schefflera - 'Haircut' & Propagate
In this Forum, where I have been for only 1 week, I...
bobv2
Droopy Pachira aquatica in 3:1:1
Hi, Last year I planted our 7 year old pachira aquatica...
true_blue (MTL CAN Z4)
Pepperomia
i have been struggling with this ornery little persnickity...
suyoder
March Flowers
I feel guilty posting this as teen usually does but...
MrBlubs
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™