how often do i use baby bio & can i use it on all these plants

nebula18March 23, 2012

I have

Mother In Laws Tongue

Peace Lily

Sweetheart Plant (Philodendron Scandens)

Spider Plant

Begonia Rex

Various Cacti

I'm pretty sure its ok to use baby bio on all of these right?

But how often do I give it to them? Someone told me to do it every time I water them but I water some of them like 2 - 3 times a week and others only once every 2 weeks.

Then someone different said to do it every 7 weeks.

I'm just confused. I know it should only be done in the growing season (March/April to September/October) but it doesn't say on the bottle how often to give it to the plants.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
birdsnblooms

Nebula, what's baby bio? Toni

Bookmark   March 23, 2012 at 12:57PM
nebula18

its a house plant fertilizer

Here is a link that might be useful:

Bookmark   March 23, 2012 at 1:07PM
birdsnblooms

Nebula, I Googled and Bing'd, but couldn't find an answer to your dossage question.

Baby Bio is used mainly in UK and Asia, manufactured by several companies including Bayer.

Sorry, I couldn't be more help..Toni

Bookmark   March 23, 2012 at 2:06PM
pirate_girl(Zone7 NYC)

I've never heard of this either but pls. don't use it on the Cacti, it's likely not a good idea (succulents & cacti don't need anywhere near the fertilizer levels of 'houseplant' types) so I'd just skip it for them completely.

Bookmark   March 23, 2012 at 5:19PM
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

At 10.6-4.4-1.7 NPK %s its pretty high in P and quite low in K for houseplants, but it's still a so-so fertilizer and a better choice than any of the fertilizers with P (the middle number) as the highest %.

How you fertilize to get the most out of your plants depends on your soil and watering habits. If you water in sips, you might fertilize at low doses infrequently - like maybe every month or so. If you flush the soil regularly when you water, it would be more appropriate to fertilize more frequently at higher doses. W/o some knowledge of the type of soil you're using and some knowledge of how you water, no one can really give you any meaningful advice.

It took quite a bit of looking to determine the NPK %s of the fertilizer, but I have no idea what other nutrients it contains. It's important that your plant gets all the nutrients essential to growth - do you have any information that points to its complete nutrient content?

It's NPK %s indicate it would be ok for any of your plants, but for the slow growers you might want to cut back on the concentration. It's just another soluble fertilizer, cut from the same cloth as Miracle-Gro, Peters, Schultz, and others.

Tell me how you water and I should be able to give you a dosage that will work.

Al

Bookmark   March 24, 2012 at 11:33AM
flora_uk(SW UK 8/9)

Nebula - the instructions are on the back of the bottle. But bear in mind they want you to buy more of it so take them with a pinch of salt. I use it occasionally but nothing like every time I water. More like once a month to 6 weeks and only in the growing season ie summer. I wouldn't use it on the Sanseveria (MILT) or the cacti. The plants you list are all pretty forgiving so I wouldn't worry too much about getting it exactly right. My Spathyphyllum is several years old and I hardly ever remember to feed it. It's about 2 feet across.

Baby Bio is an old established brand in the UK. The bottle I have has a diamond jubilee label - that's how long it's been around.

Bookmark   March 24, 2012 at 2:16PM
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

There is no reason I can think of to avoid using it on cacti or sans, and there are assuredly choices used regularly that are much worse.

Al

Bookmark   March 24, 2012 at 5:26PM
More Discussions
Worried about my Philodendren, Please help!
Hi there everyone. I loved the help that I got about...
huskymom87
Money tree problems
Hi, I'm having some trouble with my Money Tree. It...
jl108
The "Show Off" Thread
I love coming to this site for all kinds of useful...
savannaicus
White bugs in saucer under spider plant
I found a pile of these small white bugs in the saucer...
Caitlin Maraist
Fiddle Leaf Fig & Baby Jade help...
I've had this fiddle leaf fig for about a year. Why...
sjhermann
Sponsored Products
Automatic Dual Electronic Timer
$49.50 | FRONTGATE
Seeds of Mint Candle
$27.99 | Dot & Bo
Forever Green Art Moss Ball Tree In Moss Decor
Beyond Stores
Kenroy Home Spot 6 in. Oil Rubbed Bronze Spot Light 20506ORB
$34.20 | Home Depot
Mount Vernon Arbor
Fifthroom.com