Will Soft Water Hurt my house plants?

Suzi AKA DesertDanceMarch 23, 2014

We recently moved to a new piece of property. The water is so hard, the dishwasher turned my black dishes and clear glasses a dusty gray, so we purchased a whole house water softening system.

Now, I'm wondering how this water softener will affect my house plants. I've been going outside to the hard water faucet with a watering can to use that, but it's kind of a pain to do that.

Advice please.

Thanks!
Suzi

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
plantomaniac08(8)

I'm pretty sure you don't want either hard or soft water for your plants. I forget the reasons, but I do remember reading that somewhere.

Planto

Bookmark   March 23, 2014 at 1:37PM
meyermike_1micha(5)

If you use softened water on your house plants and your landscape, over time the salt will build up in the soil and cause your plants to die of thirst. If you live in an area that doesnâÂÂt get much rainfall, the salt will not get washed out or percolate deep enough into the soil to be diluted. High concentration of salt in soil decreases oxygen levels, causes the soil to swell and become compacted. When this happens, plants cannot get enough nutrients to their roots and they die.

Bookmark   March 23, 2014 at 2:26PM
Suzi AKA DesertDance

OK! Thanks! The only soft water is in the house. All outside irrigation is hard water provided by the Agricultural District in our area. It contains minerals for sure, but salt isn't among them.

We are on the same water source that is used by all the Citrus Orchards and Farms in the valley below.

I will only use distilled or outside water on my houseplants.

Thanks so much!
Suzi

Bookmark   March 23, 2014 at 2:34PM
More Discussions
"Heirloom" geraniums, coleus, impatiens etc.
perhaps this isn't exactly a houseplant question......
grimesel1993
What to do with Alocasia tubers?
As the lower leaves on my Alocasia poly died over time,...
greentoe357
Christmas cactus help needed please!!
I inherited this plant from my uncle, he had it forever....
Stef Cunningham
help my Imperial Green Philodendron
Hello dears , I've a very beautiful and large Philodendron...
sara03
Name that plant!
I found this plant at Walmart with the usual "foliage"...
elizabeth_101
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™