Iris help

jennifer3120March 15, 2014

I purchased this Iris plant at the grocery store and brought it home last week. Within two days each of the flowers withered and died so I cut them off. The plant itself has been thriving and the green "shoots" have now within 5 days grown to twice their original size.

I have been keeping the plant inside, but I'm confused about how to take care of it now as it appears that it is quickly outgrowing the little plastic pot it is in.

Should I trim it in some way? Should I buy a bigger pot? Should I keep it inside or move it outside onto my balcony? Is it a bad sign that the flowers themselves died? What can I do to get it to bloom again?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK

What you bought is not so much an Iris 'plant' as a pot containing several Iris corms most of which have already flowered. Iris reticulata are not indoor plants but very hardy outdoor spring corms. I would suggest you put this pot in the coolest, lightest place you can find e.g. glazed porch. They are very hardy and you can plant the whole clump outside as soon as all the corms have flowered if your soil is workable and it's not too cold i.e. below freezing.

Even outside the flowers do not last more than a few days and inside where it is too hot for them they will last even less time. The ones which have flowered will not flower again until next spring. And they are very prone to not returning at all in less than optimal conditions The foliage always grows tall after flowering but yours will have become etiolated through being inside where it is too dark and too warm for these plants. Do not trim it. Bulbous plants should never be trimmed as the foliage is busy building up the bulb or corm for next year.

Bookmark   March 15, 2014 at 4:05PM
pirate_girl(Zone7 NYC)

Hi,

Until someone else comes along w/ more info., pls. take the purple decorative cover off the plant so it can drain, you'll want to put some kind of saucer beneath it.

Bookmark   March 15, 2014 at 4:10PM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL(8B AL)

Welcome to Gardenweb! Do you know your garden zone? You can find it here. Iris reticulata is reported to be hardy (can grow in the ground all year) as low as Z5. From your mention of a balcony, you may not have ground space for gardening?

Bookmark   March 16, 2014 at 9:40AM
More Discussions
Pachira browning
Hi, all! My Pachira needs help. The trunk is not soft...
deborahsab
How to introduce houseplants to outside and should i worry bout rodent
I got a lot of house plants in the last 9 months. I...
tlbean2004
Only 1/2 of a schefflera remaining...
4 years ago, I adopted this schefflera from a bank...
greenintrigue
I believe this is a corn plant... it's blooming and very frangrant!
I recently acquired this house plant from someone that...
kinziestarr
Options to water the plant while away from office .
Dear All Would like to know your opinions on any options...
lukein123
Sponsored Products
African Violet Cleo 24" Wide Pendant Chandelier
Lamps Plus
Saber Wide Head Spatula
$24.50 | FRONTGATE
Brushed Pewter Mini Pendant 1-Light
$96.00 | PLFixtures
Westinghouse Ceiling Fans Vector 42 in. Brushed Nickel Ceiling Fan 7850700
Home Depot
American Outdoor Grill 33930S Double Access Door GMTSS - 33930S
$413.95 | Hayneedle
Indoor Ceiling Light with Fan: Hampton Bay Bay Island 52 in. Desert Patina Ceili
Home Depot
Top Chef® Six-Piece Colored Knife Set
$24.99 | zulily
Beautyrest Recharge Issa Plush Full-size Mattress Set
Overstock.com
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™