Aloe plant, cutting off at the root?

emmagardenMarch 17, 2010

Hello everyone. I have a fairly large aloe plant that unfortunately has a long stem. I've read that I can cut the plant off at the base and replant it. I don't want to kill my plant!

If I do cut off the stem of this plant do I let it try out for a day or two before planting?

I've made a video where you can see the plant. Check out the link :)

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Here is a link that might be useful: My aloe plant on YouTube

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mr_subjunctive

I think you can do this; I've potted up offsets from Aloes of various kinds where the roots snapped while I was dividing them, and they started fine. You probably should let it dry for a day or two before planting, though I never have with said offsets and it's still worked out. (Soil choice matters a lot, though: nonsterile or soggy mixes may lead to rot if you don't let the cutting callus first.) Bottom heat has seemed to help mine, the times I've tried.

You may want to get a second opinion from the Cactus & Succulent Forum, but I don't see a problem with this.

Bookmark   March 18, 2010 at 12:56AM
pirate_girl(Zone7 NYC)

Well Emma,

I would suggest pls. that you DO go next door to the Cactus & Succulent Forum, read lots of Aloe posts & the FAQs.

I'm suggesting this 'cause (1) your pots are too big for your plants (& increase the likelihood of their rotting) & (2) the mix isn't quite right, needs to be grittier & more fast draining.

Bookmark   March 18, 2010 at 7:35AM
Oakley

Emma, I can't help...well I did read recently that we shouldn't put the "stem' in the soil, but going to the cactus and succulent forum will give you some great answers.

I do have a question for you and others here that grow the same Aloe..I have one too, but it's a baby.

What type of light do they need? I've read various opinions about getting direct sunlight to only giving them bright light.

For those of you who grow them successfully, what type of light do you give your Aloe like the one Emma has?

Bookmark   March 18, 2010 at 3:36PM
cactusmcharris

Emma,

A question much like yours was asked and answered over at the C&S Forum - the link to that thread is below.

You can put the healed-over end in a potting mixture, but you just want to ensure that the soil stays dry until there are roots.

OO,

Give your Aloes as much light as you can, but gradually so. Most of the 300-odd species grow best in full sun. As it's grown in full sun, you'll find that it will grow faster and be thirstier than one grown in more-shaded conditions. The sunned Aloe will also be more colourful:

Here is a link that might be useful: Get On Up With The Aloe

Bookmark   March 19, 2010 at 12:32AM
birdsnblooms

Oak, I agree with Cactusm. They are sun-lovers. But never place a plant, even high-light plants, in direct sun without first acclimating. Moreso since your Aloe is a youngster.

Cactus, which Aloe species is that? Wow, the color is lovely..so red. Its shape isn't the same as Aloe Vera..Are its edges prickly? Toni

Bookmark   March 19, 2010 at 9:10PM
cactusmcharris

Toni,

That's Aloe tauri ((named for a Mr. Bullock, btw) and its teeth aren't terribly prickly, as Aloe teeth go.

Bookmark   March 20, 2010 at 2:16AM
More Discussions
Worried about my Philodendren, Please help!
Hi there everyone. I loved the help that I got about...
huskymom87
Money tree problems
Hi, I'm having some trouble with my Money Tree. It...
jl108
March Flowers
I feel guilty posting this as teen usually does but...
MrBlubs
Spider plant looking pale
I have a spider that plant that has started to look...
ptsourkas
Who am I?
I was at WM and this fellow was on clearance and jumped...
savannaicus
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™