New spider plant dying

Sarah1502March 2, 2013

My new spider plant that I purchased only a week ago seems to be dying. The leaves are turning yellow from the tips and then quickly wilting and drying up. The plant was wet when I purchased it, but it didn't seem too bad. It's still very moist.

I have it in a bright location. I have not found any pests. I think that the problem is the soil is too wet and hasn't dried out. I do not have any gritty mix right now, but I have regular soil, cactus soil and perlite. Would repotting into some combination of these work or at least make an improvement until I can get something different?

Sorry no pic. I'm working today. I appreciate any advice.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL

Whatever kind of mix you could make with what you have that is chunky and porous would be good. Is the info here useful?

Bookmark   March 2, 2013 at 2:13PM
Lamora(4)

I know that mine does not like tap water. She almost died on me!! When I started using distilled or filtered water, she really picked up. I wait till the soil is dry before watering/feeding her. Almost to the point to where she is wilting some, but not a lot. She is in the 5-1-1 mix.

I am by no means a professional on this~~ Just telling you my experiences. :)

Marjie

Bookmark   March 2, 2013 at 3:25PM
christine1950

I would re-pot it right away and get it out of that wet soil, I let mine almost dry out completely between watering's. I do use tap water after it's been sitting at least 24-48 hours and I've never had a problem.

Bookmark   March 2, 2013 at 3:45PM
teengardener1888(NY Albany 5a)

can you show a photo

Bookmark   March 2, 2013 at 9:04PM
Sarah1502

Thanks for the replies. When I got home tonight I repotted it in the best mix that I could with what I have on hand. Maybe sometime next week or next weekend, I will have time to purchase the ingredients for gritty mix or 5-1-1. I'm an accountant, and right now I am swamped at work. But, I just can't let my little plants suffer! ;)

Bookmark   March 2, 2013 at 9:44PM
More Discussions
Plant identification & care
The plant in photo was grown by my friend from cuttings...
bobv2
March Flowers
I feel guilty posting this as teen usually does but...
MrBlubs
Febuary Flowers
This is my month!! I finally have a decent amount of...
teengardener1888
Name that plant!
I found this plant at Walmart with the usual "foliage"...
elizabeth_101
Does anyone know the name of this plant?
Does anyone know the name of this plant?
Aran Yeo
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™