quick question

Lamora(4)March 1, 2013

Hi, I was just wondering the best way to clean Clay pots? Make them safe for new plants? I bought one (thrift store) and they don't clean pots. This one smells of something that I can't tell what it is- didn't smell it till after i got it home. But I was wondeing how to "sterilize" a clay pot-- or can you?

thanks
Marjie :)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
larry_b(Zone5/CO)

Boil it in an old pot. I have an old burnt out pot that I only use for such things. Or soak it in Bleach (10 parts water 1 part bleach) for 12 hours. Soak the bleached pot in water for several days afterward. After that any remaining bleach should evaporate.

Bookmark   March 1, 2013 at 2:05PM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

After soaking in the bleach solution for several hours, soak in water for an hour or so then place in the outdoor sunlight for a day. Ultraviolet rays work wonders.

Bookmark   March 1, 2013 at 2:19PM
Lamora(4)

Thanks!! will do!! ummm sunshine?? HAHAHAHA! Will have to wait for that I think-- still pretty grey out there, no sunshine to be had~~ :( But I will soak it in the bleach for a while and then water-- humm wonder if I can find a container for it, We use the sink too much for that long. I will find something....

Thanks so much!! I wouldn't care so much if I knew what the smell was, but since i don't, I worry....

Marjie

Bookmark   March 1, 2013 at 3:21PM
teengardener1888(NY Albany 5a)

i thought plastic pots could be sterillized not clay

Bookmark   March 1, 2013 at 3:27PM
larry_b(Zone5/CO)

Thanks Dorie,

I am never sure how long to soak the pot to get the bleach out of something porous like clay. Putting it in the sun is an excellent idea.

Larry

Bookmark   March 1, 2013 at 3:27PM
larry_b(Zone5/CO)

Nope. You can boil, bake or soak in bleach. That will kill most things. I say most things because there are some bacteria that can survive boiling. It's a bacteria that one would be concerned about when canning food. That is why one needs to use a pressure cooker for canning non-tomato food. I know of nothing that would harm a plant that would survive boiling.

Larry

Bookmark   March 1, 2013 at 3:33PM
pirate_girl(Zone7 NYC)

Hi there Larry,

Happy March 1st!! (am getting ready to welcome Spring, can you tell?) ;>)

What excellent info, which I'd never heard before, thanks for sharing it w/ us!

Bookmark   March 1, 2013 at 4:29PM
eahamel(9a)

Yes, clay pots can be sterilized. It's recommended by orchid growers since they're sensitive to a lot of pathogens.

Bookmark   March 1, 2013 at 5:06PM
larry_b(Zone5/CO)

Hi Karen,

Thank you and Happy March 1st to you too. I can't believe it's March. The winter is going by fast for me this year.

Larry

Bookmark   March 1, 2013 at 6:15PM
dellis326 (Danny)

Soak them in water for about a half hour and pop em in the oven at 350 degrees for about an hour or two. Let them cool in the oven overnight. The steam will sterilize inside the walls of the pots

Bookmark   March 1, 2013 at 10:16PM
teengardener1888(NY Albany 5a)

yes happy march first everybody!!!!!

Bookmark   March 1, 2013 at 10:27PM
Lamora(4)

Thanks everyone!! wow- so many ways. I let it sit in water and bleach for about 4 hrs, been sitting in water over hight, haven't taken it out yet. I don't think I will worry about baking it unless the smell is still there. (I hate our oven) but thanks for the tips.

Now for the hard water that didn't come off!! lol, but I can deal with that. Thought the bleach would do that, but there was a lot! oh well, like I said, I can deal with it~~ :)

Thanks again
Marjie

Bookmark   March 2, 2013 at 12:17PM
larry_b(Zone5/CO)

Nope not bleach, vinegar.

Larry

Bookmark   March 2, 2013 at 3:59PM
dellis326 (Danny)

Bleach is alkaline, you need something acid to dissolve the mineral deposits. Use white vinegar.

Bookmark   March 2, 2013 at 6:03PM
More Discussions
It hursts so that my Pachira Aquatica "money tree" plant is hurting so
Hi all, love this site and I finally joined! I've read...
mobbsuit_beasley
Need help reviving Fiddle Leaf!
Hi, I am a first time houseplant owner and recently...
Lacey Scripture
Unknown house plant
I bought this Exotic Angel plant at Home Depot and...
bouldergrower
Avocado Plant Dying
I bought this grafted dwarf Wurtz avocado tree this...
nobbyv77
Diatomaceous Earth vs. Fired Clay in Gritty Mix
I've seen Napa Floor-Dry (8822), which is diatomaceous...
kwie2011
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™