is Sierra Gold cantelope heirloom?

daninthedirt(Cent TX; HZ10, Sunset z30, USDA z8a)July 19, 2014

Last year I had some fun growing volunteer cantaloupe that come out of my compost pile. Worked pretty well, though I have no idea what variety I was growing. It did teach me that I had good soil and conditions for melons. This year, I decided to get a small packet of seeds, and ended up with Sierra Gold. It too is growing very well. Delicious! Given my success with composted cantaloupe seed, and since I intend to expand my patch next year, I have to wonder if Sierra Gold is a hybrid or heirloom. I can't figure it out. Anyone know? If it's an heirloom, I might as well be saving seeds.

If I did want to save the seeds, how do I do it? Just dry them out? Or do I have to ferment them as I do with my heirloom tomato seeds?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
farmerdill

Depends on your definition of "heirloom" It is an open pollinated commercial variety released in 1956. To save seeds, just remove seeds from a ripe melon, wash them, and let them dry. store under cool dry conditions. Devloped in California, it is not well suited to the southeast.

Bookmark   July 20, 2014 at 8:05AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
daninthedirt(Cent TX; HZ10, Sunset z30, USDA z8a)

Thanks. That's what I needed to know. Yes, I was using the word "heirloom" to describe something open-pollinatable. If it's not well suited to Texas, I guess my plants never got told that.

The seed-saving potential of many vegetable species is not something advertised by the seed companies. No big surprise, I guess.

Bookmark   July 20, 2014 at 10:18AM
More Discussions
Planting Oca in Tubs?
Has anyone done this with any success? How big a tub...
aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
Anyone else not liking this "new and improved" houzz thingy?
It took a long time to get through all of the bells...
wertach zone 7-B SC
Radish in Miami
I grow mostly tomatoes, but once in a while I plant...
garf_gw
over wintering cabbage family for second year seed
I'm interested in which cabbage family vegetables I...
matthias_lang
Do eggplants have high yield?
I'm going to grow one. Thinking of growing two. Do...
shijitake
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™