Advice for my Fiddle Leaf Fig (Ficus Lyrata)

lelizMarch 1, 2013

Hi,
I would love opinions on my Fiddle Leaf Fig. I adore this plant and want it to thrive but need some help. This picture is the "good side." The other side is pretty bare from losing all the leaves. It's about 6.5 feet tall. I want it to grow to 9 feet tall and then continue to fill out from there. How do I go about helping the plant accomplish this? Any advice is so appreciated!

Brief history:
I have had the plant for about a year. It lost a good 1/3 to maybe 1/2 its leaves a couple months after I brought it home. I don't think I was watering it enough. After I adjusted the water it has seemed fairly happy and has not dropped any more leaves.
This past summer it had a good growth spurt and grew a good foot or so in height. The new growth is all at the top.

Other Questions:
-Should I cut off the small stem that is growing further down on the trunk? How do I get my tree to "fill in" in the areas where it has lost leaves, as its last growth spurt was solely concentrated on new growth at the top of the tree?
-I have it staked to try and encourage the new growth to grow straight up. Will this be effective as I wait for the branches to strengthen?
-Should I repot?

Any other advice or observations based on looking at the tree?

Thanks again for taking the time to offer any advice!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
teengardener1888(NY Albany 5a)

Hi, the fiddle leaf fig in general is a easy houseplant. pruning would help. but i dont know much about pruning them. someone else who knows more should come along

Bookmark   March 1, 2013 at 3:11PM
leliz

Any other ideas? Should I keep letting it grow taller and then try to get it to become more "bushy" or do I need to stall height so it can fill in first?

Bookmark   March 4, 2013 at 1:22PM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL(8B AL)

Hey, Leliz. There's a quite prolific thread about FLF you may want to check out.

Bookmark   March 5, 2013 at 10:17AM
susanholder

Hello, l need some help please. I recieved my fig a bit over 14 years ago. God love its heart it has been through 3 moves and one repotting. It has 11 trunks and is approximately 6 and a half feet tall. All the trunks are skinny and I have most of them bound to a stake, and it is still leaning. I would like to straighten it up. I had this weird idea of pulling all the trunks together and using gardening tape and starting at the bottom taping them all together to create one trunk. Please dont be horrfied, I dont have many plants and reallyhave no training. This one is special to me and would really appreciate some help to make it a healthy and attractive house plant. I live in north Alabama and it currently sitting on the back porch. Thank you in advance.

Bookmark   July 19, 2014 at 4:52PM
zzackey(8b GA)

I think it needs to be repotted in a bigger pot.

Bookmark   July 19, 2014 at 4:55PM
More Discussions
Satus Update!
It was 52 degrees yesterday, and in my yard I found...
Rhamel(teengardener1888)
House Plants
Dracaenta Marginata
davers71
A lighter gritty mix and a 5-1-1 question
Hey, So I love gritty mix and only have a few plants...
hottomato99
Desert Rose That Will Not Bloom
I have a desert rose that is roughly 4 or 5 years old....
Tiffany Martin
How to introduce houseplants to outside and should i worry bout rodent
I got a lot of house plants in the last 9 months. I...
tlbean2004
Sponsored Products
Kitchen Serving Cart - Natural / Chrome - SC-5068
$96.99 | Hayneedle
Round Resin Madison Planter - A114080
$59.99 | Hayneedle
Grid Wall-Mount Mailbox - Polished Stainless Steel
Signature Hardware
Linens: For Every Room Book
$55.00 | Horchow
'Be Brave' Bear Box Sign
$7.49 | zulily