Potassium bicarbonate for mildews

woohoomanJuly 5, 2013

I posted this in the Organic gardening forum, but I thought I'd post here also---

Well, in years past, I've tried baking soda, neem oil, milk, and vinegar for powdery mildew. Then I found out that plants need to be treated PRIOR to exhibiting symptoms. I had read that potassium bicarbonate was better than baking soda, but had never tried it.

This year, I was going to get a jump on it, but the humidity and heat came about 2 months early... Voila! Powdery mildew.

Recently, I read that potassium bicarbonate could not only control PM, but could actually cure it some -- even after symptoms.

So I went and found some at a wine making shop. I clipped the most affected leaves off my cucurbits and gave all of them a good spraying.

I plan on going with a 1 week schedule for a few weeks and then a 2 week if there's no further damage.

I'll let you all know how it goes later this summer.

Kevin

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rossello44(6)

Where do you buy it and at what concentration, such as grams/gal or oz/gal.
Thanks

Frank

Bookmark   July 6, 2013 at 11:30PM
woohooman

Rossello44: I got mine at a local wine and cheese making shop-- 1 lb for $6. But, beer making shops also carry it.. Problem there was the one I called wanted $2 for an oz. Amazon has it for $15 or so per lb.

The recipes I see online call for 4tsp/gal water. So, even at a inflated price such as Amazon, it comes out to about 192 gal of fungicide. If it works, that's a helluva lot cheaper than the milk recipes and store bought products.

I should have an update to effectiveness in a couple weeks or so.

By the way, apple cider vinegar is off the table for me. I noticed some discoloration on leaves of some of my pepper plants.

Kevin

Bookmark   July 6, 2013 at 11:48PM
rossello44(6)

Thanks Kevin. As you say even at the high price, still is (if it works) a cheap solution.
I picked 7 zucchini (5 green and two yellow) and 5 cucumbers yesterday.
Frank

Bookmark   July 7, 2013 at 8:16AM
newyorkrita(z6b/7a LI NY)

How well is it working?

Bookmark   July 16, 2013 at 1:09PM
woohooman

Pretty darn well on the zukes, cukes and squash. I've only had to pull just a couple leaves from the squash and zukes and they're the oldest leaves that are tuckered anyhow The cantaloupes are surviving but because I sprayed that vinegar solution, I've had to trim a lot of leaves. And the PM seems a bit more stubborn on the melons. I imagine if the monsoonal crap hadn't moved in so early this year and I had begun the preventative sprays earlier, that they would be fine now.

Kevin

Note to self: Plant cantaloupes further apart... the side shooting vines take up way too much trellis space.

This post was edited by woohooman on Tue, Jul 16, 13 at 14:44

Bookmark   July 16, 2013 at 1:35PM
newyorkrita(z6b/7a LI NY)

Yes, it is always easier to prevent instead of cure. But still it sounds pretty effective!

This is my first year growing zucchini and squash so I never realised they were prone to getting powdery mildew until they came down with it. I have been using Neem to control it but am very interested in the effectiveness of the Potassium bicarbonate.

Bookmark   July 16, 2013 at 2:28PM
springtogarden(6)

Thanks, Kevin, for telling us about this! I just used it tonight on all my cucurbit leaves. I also used it on the night shade family plants. I read it can be great for preventing and helping slow down some of the fungus diseases too like blights and septoria. I will post my tomato results here. Thanks again!

Bookmark   July 23, 2013 at 2:25AM
seysonn(8a WA/HZ 1)

OK. Hope all goes well.
Please report on results soon, if you will.
Thanks.

Bookmark   July 23, 2013 at 8:48AM
springtogarden(6)

I will :)! Maybe posts some pics too.

Bookmark   July 24, 2013 at 12:49AM
More Discussions
Identifying garden pests
Dear Experts Could you figure what type of pests are...
zillah2004
Artichoke Failure, HELP!!!
I am in zone 7a, middle TN, and attempting to grow...
Trinacria
Planting where dog used to poop
We haven't had a god in two years. Is it okay to plant...
Theresa24
Experiment Results: Growing vegetables in different soil-less mixes
If someone are interested to follow an experiment to...
Jacques (MP, South Africa) S
Greenland Gardener Raised Garden Kit
Picked up 2 of these from Walmart yesterday to grow...
onkloudnyne
Sponsored Products
Humboldt Nutrients Bloom - HNB404
$15.75 | Hayneedle
Dish It Out Unscented Dish Soap - Set of Two
$12.99 | zulily
40-Oz. Automatic Dishwasher Gel
$5.99 | zulily
Aquasana Countertop Water Filter
$104.95 | FRONTGATE
Humboldt Nutrients Big Up Powder - HNBUP200
$16.98 | Hayneedle