dieffenbachia for a closed terrarium?

pieheart(6)March 25, 2012

I originally posted in the terrarium forum but realized it wasn't that active and I'd be more likely to find someone who can help here.

I have a closed terrarium (like a large glass cookie jar with lid) I'd like to use. Would a dieffenbachia be a good choice to put in it?

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL

I would put a fern.

Bookmark   March 25, 2012 at 3:44PM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Closed terrariums are good environments for humidity loving plants...like the fern purple mentioned, but there are many others. I built one many years ago that I still like to think back on; it had a Venus Fly Trap in it, as well as a couple of other things. Boy, did that VFT ever like it in there.

Of course, you can create an arid terrarium, too, and plant it with cacti, earth stars, etc.

As far as dieffenbachia goes, I know that there are table top sized varieties, but even they would outgrow the dimensions of the typical glass cookie jar terrarium (I have one). You don't want a plant that will be smushed up against the sides or top of the container.

What kind of dieffenbachia are you thinking about?

Bookmark   March 25, 2012 at 4:16PM
pieheart(6)

I honestly don't know the cultivar, it was gift. I have a cat who eats plants and thought a terrarium would be a safe place for this poisonous plant. I may have to re-gift it to a petless friend.

A venus fly trap is a good idea, though. What kind of light does it need? I have bright, indirect light.

Bookmark   March 25, 2012 at 4:28PM
summersunlight(5b)

Dieffenbachia CAN grow in terrarium conditions so if it fits in there now I think it's worth a try. You will probably have to prune it to keep it to a good size though.
If you decide to try to grow carnivorous plants, here is a helpful website: http://www.sarracenia.com/faq/faq2000.html

Here is a link that might be useful: Sarracenia.com

Bookmark   March 25, 2012 at 7:52PM
pieheart(6)

Thanks so much for the link, summersunshine! I have a lot of reading to do tonight.

Bookmark   March 25, 2012 at 7:57PM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL

I agree it's worth trying. I thought your goal was to find the best plant for your terrarium but keeping a treasured toxic plant away from a cat is a worthy endeavor.

Bookmark   March 26, 2012 at 10:06AM
More Discussions
Help me save my cat Palm!!
Hi, I've had my palm for almost a year now, the first...
connor55
help me identify this plant
It's indoor, never flowers, has kind of waxy, viney...
princessasamuela
Pilea Moonvalley - ID & Care
Just bought this plant. I'd appreciate ID confirmation...
bobv2
Pothos Problems
My poor pothos is struggling. I've attached a few pictures,...
mwhcrew32
Plant identification & care
Are the plants in the photo a variety of Dracaena?...
bobv2
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™