Iceburg Lettuce just grows more leaves. No head.

gsevensJuly 23, 2009

I planted iceburg lettuce seeds indoors back in April. They went into the ground in mid May. The lettuce has grown steadily from the beginning. It just won't turn into a head. It continues to pop out more leaves, but they don't curl up right. My Lakes head lettuce headed up just fine, just not my Iceburg. Does anyone know what causes this?

Thanks,

Paul

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

Heat or planting too close can delay or even prevent heading. Any chance one of those conditions exist?

Dave

Bookmark   July 24, 2009 at 8:33PM
gsevens

I believe the plants are about 15-18" apart. I've got a ton of rain this year so far. It has been cooler than usual for this time of year in New England. It has been starting to get warm lately, but that is just recently. It had been in the 70s for quite some time. Is that to warm for Iceburg lettuce.

Paul

Bookmark   July 25, 2009 at 7:53AM
farmerdilla

I am confused, are you saying that the cultivar "Great Lakes" headed up but a cultivar labeled "Iceberg" did not? There are over a hundred cultivars of iceberg type lettuce of which several are named Great Lakes. There are three of the older cultivar that actually have Iceburg in the name. If that is the case I would continue to go with the Great Lakes or a try a more modern cultivar. It may be that the cultivar labeled Iceberg was a generic cultivar that is not suited, or has a longer growing season etc. But if the cultivar Great Lakes heads satisfactorily go with that as your base line.

Bookmark   July 25, 2009 at 8:22AM
Beeone(4 N. Wyo.)

I had the same experience with Iceberg. It was always a light green, leafy, then finally bolted. Then I planted some Great Lakes and I got really nice heads and dark green leaves.

My solution has been to plant Great Lakes and forget the Iceberg. Whether it is heat, lack of water, or whatever, it really doesn't matter as the Iceberg just doesn't do well for me and Great Lakes does.

Bookmark   July 26, 2009 at 1:58AM
gsevens

Farmerdilla, thanks for the info. Great Lakes is the way to go.

Beeone, yes mine are very light green, very leafy. They have had plenty of water this year. I have got enough rain I have only had to water once or twice since spring. We have had a lot of rain here in New England. I don't know if too much rain can cause this too.

Thanks again for the info.
Paul

Bookmark   July 26, 2009 at 7:45AM
More Discussions
Long post but help please?
Okay, So. This year I started all my vegetables from...
jenandwya
good weed fighters
Am looking for ideas to fight off weeds. Currently...
sepulvd
Boo hoo! Purple sprouting broccoli didn't survive the winter!
I was looking forward to early broccoli this year....
ffreidl z5a
Planting where dog used to poop
We haven't had a god in two years. Is it okay to plant...
Theresa24
Artichoke Failure, HELP!!!
I am in zone 7a, middle TN, and attempting to grow...
Trinacria
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™