Calathea

glenlivet12March 9, 2012

Hello,

I have a calathea and the edge of the leaves are starting to turn papery brown. New leaves are lighter than the existing leaves. I mist the plant everyday and have it on a plate with stones and water. I water the plant once the top of the soil gets a bit dry. Please help as I love this plant. Thank you in advance!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

Odds significantly favor either over-watering or a high level of soluble salts in the soil - or both, because they usually go hand-in-hand. Misting won't help that particular issue, but the humidity tray offers a very marginal improvement. The primary underlying cause is almost certainly poor root health/function, and it's probably exacerbated by low humidity if you heat in the winter. They also need warm temperatures, so if it's much under 65*, they might start tending to rebel.

It's hard to say exactly what's wrong, and the FIX almost surely lies in that soil choice/watering habits/level of salts in the soil triangle that is pretty inseparable unless you're using an appropriate soil.

If you want to talk soils - let me know & I'll link you to more info here @ GW.

Al

Bookmark   March 9, 2012 at 4:42PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL(8B AL)

Totally agree. Am also worried this plant is not getting enough light although the entire problem could be the soil/water combo. Hard to know without more info. What way does the window nearest the plant face? How close is it to the window? Are there any heat vents blowing on it or near it?

If it makes you feel any better, this type of plant is one of those that have a much harder time inside a house than most. The environment is just so different from their requirements, and they are usually short-lived, even for many people who have and do well with many other plants.

Bookmark   March 19, 2012 at 11:29AM
More Discussions
Can anyone help identify this plant?
I was given this plant a while back from my mother-in-law...
Danielle
Spider plant vs Mother-in-Law's Tongue: Day vs Night
I know that Spider plant and Mother-in-Law's Tongue...
dert17
My Calathea is blooming - hehe
Flowers look pretty good!
jujujojo_gw
HELP!!!!
I just recently bough this plant and it has all this...
lorennland
Advice needed - Frostbitten Schefflera
Hi all. Seven days ago, I moved house and took a couple...
massakyr - Zone 2b
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™