The longevity Of Arabian Tea Jasmine

teengardener1888(NY Albany 5a)March 27, 2013

I brought a arabian tea jasmine. It bloomed 3 weeks later and started to bloom. THE Fragrance was heavenly and It started to open. The next day i went to smell it, AND IT FELL OFF WHEN MY NOSE TOUCHED IT. It was well watered...........................

WHAT HAPPENED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mrlike2u(**)

Usually a good time to not water as heavily is as flowering buds begin to open Flowering is the last stage of it's cycle
Sure there will be the opposite said as well but did watering allow the flowers to open ?

Bookmark   March 27, 2013 at 5:28PM
kemistry(8 - Oregon)

What you have is probably the cultivar 'Maid of Orleans'.. and yes its flowers only last a day. The flowers of 'Belle of India' will last about 2 days : )

Bookmark   March 27, 2013 at 7:48PM
buyorsell888(Zone 8 Portland OR)

Correct, the flowers don't last long at all but they sure do smell good.

Bookmark   March 27, 2013 at 9:17PM
meyermike_1micha(5)

Hi Kemistry and Wes!!!

Nice to see you here:-)

Mike

Bookmark   March 27, 2013 at 9:17PM
auron22(6b OH)

Teen, the next flower that opens up, i would make jasmine tea out of before it is spent :) Not sure if all cultivars of arabian tea jasmine are edible, i think so.lol
This summer i will be posting pics of my plant in full bloom to confirm it's ID. I thought arabian tea jasmine, but i could be confusing it with a gardenia, like gardenia jasminoides. Wish the person that gave it to me 7 years ago knew....Anyway, i would love to see pics of yours!

Bookmark   March 28, 2013 at 1:46PM
teengardener1888(NY Albany 5a)

Sorry, I cant post yet. My cultivar is Maid of Oleans. It is not very vigourous, for amazon has not done a good job of shipping it safely. I have been nursing it along for three weeks and was surprized when it grew a bud. I am surprized that a fourteen year old like me can keep a jasmine alive. I am hoping to keep it alive and have many flowers at once. Tips tp grow this plant are appreciated

Thank you, This plant means alot to me

Bookmark   March 28, 2013 at 1:56PM
roseyd(6)

best tip for jasmine and gardenia too - is Sun. You get that plant near your sunniest window and keep her happy.

Sing to her. feed and water her regularly. And if you have an outdoor spot - come summer - put her outside to soak in the rays. She'll love you for that.

I like to spray the leaves of my indoor plants, a few times a week. Especially with the heat still on - it helps to keep the leaves from drying out. (I consider it 'moisturizing' my plants).

Bookmark   March 28, 2013 at 2:03PM
ziyakr(6)

I was just considering this plant, have been wanting a jasmine for a long time. So, doing my research always includes reading these forums and so far everything sounds good...then I see a terrifying word "gardenia". Had multiple horrible experiences trying to keep 3 different varieties of gardenia alive for my sister, finally had to ban it from the house rather than deal with the sadness of watching anymore of them die.

Auron, are you saying this plant is like a gardenia? Anyone know if it can go outside for the summer? I have lots of good south and west sun indoors but find that most of the houseplants like to be outside part of the year.

Teengardener, good luck! Wish I'd discovered plants 25 years ago when I was your age!

Bookmark   April 3, 2013 at 6:21PM
More Discussions
Good Growing Practices - An Overview
I am reposting this thread because the transition from...
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)
Dracaenas Identify & Care
Here are two plants that I know are Dracaenas but I...
bobv2
Low-e Windows Effect on Plants
We have lots of house plants. We wish to install energy...
peter_poet
Pothos Problems
My poor pothos is struggling. I've attached a few pictures,...
mwhcrew32
Fittonia - ID & Care
Here's another plant I just bought. I'd appreciate...
bobv2
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™