Winter squash appears ready but in Aug?!?

GeorgeAJuly 31, 2012

Hello All,

I am growing my first winter squashes this year. I have planted Delicata, Hubbard, and Boston Marrow. I'm jumping in with both feet. :) I have had my troubles with borers but am getting some yield. Many of the Boston Marrow are already in the 8-10 lb range, bumpy, firm skin, and brilliant orange. Will they continue to ripen or have they max-ed out? Most postings have said to leave them on the vine until first frost but that is months away and I am concerned about losing the vines to borers or the squashes to mildew (or critters). Do I leave them be? It seems awfully early for them to look this mature. BTW, I'm in NJ zone 6B.

Thanks in advance!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
girlgroupgirl(8 ATL)

I garden in zone 8, and we don't leave winter squash on the vines until first frost!! :) It really does depend on your zone and on the season you are experiencing in that zone. I planted my butternut very late, and am almost ready to harvest 3 huge squash. I'll feed it again and let it continue, there are probably 12 squash on the vines and normally I get up to about 30 before frost. Hopefully yours will keep on going!!!

Bookmark   July 31, 2012 at 11:52PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
veeta

I had this question myself recently:
http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/gourds/msg071821303896.html?4
I found that although my delicatas were hard and the color seemed right, they were not quite ready. The best course of action is to cut one and eat it--only way to know for sure!
You do not necessarily need to leave till frost, but for me in zone 7 I will be waiting longer to ensure my squash will be sweeter and last longer.
To avoid mildew, I placed straw beneath the large winter squash I grew last year. I grew the delicata on a trellis, which is working great.

Bookmark   August 1, 2012 at 11:36AM
More Discussions
Anyone else not liking this "new and improved" houzz thingy?
It took a long time to get through all of the bells...
wertach zone 7-B SC
Who uses hog/cattle panels for Tomato Trellis? Need some advice
Hello, I'm close to going with some kind of livestock...
srj19
Are winter squash leaves edible?
for example, butternut squash?
takadi
over wintering cabbage family for second year seed
I'm interested in which cabbage family vegetables I...
matthias_lang
eggplant not germinating
I put in my eggplant seeds on 1/25 and left them on...
NewTXGardener (8a Dallas)
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™