ID Help

sarah1210March 22, 2013

Hello, I'm trying to identify my fathers plant, he has had this plant for 30 years and can't remember what it is. I've tried to do a bit of reseach myself, but I am not very knowledgeable when it comes to house plants. Any help would be much appreciative! Thank you

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Tuckamore

Hello,

looks like Heptapleurum arboricolum or dwarf umbrella tree but I could be mistaken

Bookmark   March 22, 2013 at 3:54PM
sarah1210

Oh you're right. They both look very similar...hmm hard to tell which one it would be. Thank you for such a fast reply =)

Bookmark   March 22, 2013 at 3:59PM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL

They are the same thing, synonyms or old/new names AFAIK.

Bookmark   March 22, 2013 at 4:04PM
Tuckamore

both are one in the same, just common and scientific names, sorry i wasn't very clear.

glad i could help!

On another note that plants reminds me of a tv show from my childhood that i never even thought of since lol

Bookmark   March 22, 2013 at 4:04PM
wndy_gardenweb(USDA z4b)

I agree with Tuck, schefflera arboricola :)

It also goes by the name of Heptapleurum arboricolum, dwarf umbrella tree, umbrella plant, dwarf schefflera.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.missouribotanicalgarden.org/gardens-gardening/your-garden/plant-finder/plant-details/kc/b636/schefflera-arboricola.aspx

Bookmark   March 22, 2013 at 4:06PM
sarah1210

Well, I feel silly. It is now quite obvious I'm not familiar with house plants lol. Thank you everyone very much for the info =)

Bookmark   March 22, 2013 at 5:11PM
wndy_gardenweb(USDA z4b)

Don't feel silly! A lot of plants have multiple common names, and some even have multiple scientific names... it doesn't make it easy! I have also heard some people on ebay making up new names for the plants they sell! What a world :-D

Bookmark   March 22, 2013 at 6:13PM
Tuckamore

Im to blame here, the way I wrote it made it seems as though I meant 2 different plants.

As wndy said, there are so many names mistakes will be made lol

Bookmark   March 22, 2013 at 8:24PM

It's not a mistake, "they" rename plants! Some of them have 3 or more names. Signing off before I get on my soap box...

Bookmark   March 22, 2013 at 10:31PM
sarah1210

Well thanks for not giving me a hard time about it! haha. As you can see I'm new to this. Thank you for the link, I sent it to my Dad and he has been telling me facts about his plant all night. He is very pleased to finally know what it is. Thanks again =)

Bookmark   March 22, 2013 at 10:31PM
sarah1210

Well thanks for not giving me a hard time about it! haha. As you can see I'm new to this. Thank you for the link, I sent it to my Dad and he has been telling me facts about his plant all night. He is very pleased to finally know what it is. Thanks again =)

Bookmark   March 22, 2013 at 10:33PM
asleep_in_the_garden

Some plants share the same common name and other than that have no relationship whatsoever so I try to remember the latin names to avoid confusion. As far as re-naming goes,I imagine that these days,scientists frequently find that the genetic code of a plant long thought to be THIS is discovered in fact to be THAT and thus they change the name.

I'm just guessing here. lol

Bookmark   March 23, 2013 at 11:24AM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

That is certainly part of it, asleep.

Bookmark   March 23, 2013 at 11:43AM

Sarah, do you really want to talk about it? I don't want to "go off" if you don't approve - your discussion.

Bookmark   March 23, 2013 at 11:55AM
More Discussions
Do I have natural original Chlorophytum comosum?
I have bought Chlorophytum comosum but I don't know...
dert17
Does anyone know the name of this plant?
Does anyone know the name of this plant?
Aran Yeo
What Makes for a Good House Plant?
As a novice gardener in zone 5, I've become rapidly...
SnowStorm
What to do with Alocasia tubers?
As the lower leaves on my Alocasia poly died over time,...
greentoe357
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™