Paint in my garden

sunfrog(z8 Az)July 8, 2012

My cousin washed out his paintbrush 3 feet from my garden and I think some of the run off may have gotten in. I already dug up the soil in one corner and threw it away but there's no telling how much of my garden received run off.

How do I detox my organic garden? Is it possible or should I just dig it all out and start again?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
IAmSupernova(SE Texas 9A)

You don't mention the type of paint, which would be a good thing to know. I assume latex, because I can't imagine why someone would be washing out an enamel paint brush in anything but paint thinner..

Preliminary Googling suggests sunflowers as the go to solution for detoxing soil contaminated with heavy metals. Might be worth looking into what all it's supposed to 'clean'.

While I'll grant you it's not something you're going to want to water your garden with, there are some paints out there that probably won't harm your garden in the slightest, and trying to 'fix the problem' might make it worse. The type is going to be really important into getting an educated answer (if there is one, I'm not sure if there is much you can do).

Bookmark   July 8, 2012 at 11:06PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
macbettz

Chill... unless he washed out a paint tray and saturated roller. The amount of paint left on from a brush is pretty minor. no need to redo your work.

Bookmark   July 9, 2012 at 10:20AM
More Discussions
winterbor kale seems to be in VERY short supply this year
I ordered some from Fedco, but they were unable to...
laceyvail
Sincere Question - Why Participate?
If I had found this site from doing a web search because...
soilent_green
Pea eggplants or kittily
Has anyone ever grown pea eggplants or kittily? Or...
changingitup
How to search in forum?
I've been looking for a way to search only in forum...
changingitup
Who do you gift your veges to?
When working, I always brought a bag of veges to work...
nancyjane_gardener
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™