How do I know when broccoli is done producing?

carrielinneaJuly 13, 2012

I'm in my first year of gardening, and have done alright with my spring broccoli crop. I've harvested the main crown along with secondary shoots. But I'm not sure what to do next. How long will the shoots keep coming? How do I know when the plants are done? I'm getting anxious to get the seeds in for a fall crop, but I don't want to pull the plants while they are still producing. Thanks for your help!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mandolls(4)

It may depend on the variety, but last year my broccoli produced a lot more side shoots as the weather cooled down in the fall, than it did in July. You just need to decide which you would prefer to have, more broccoli side shoots, or new plants. I am leaving mine in, and planting fall crops in other beds.

Bookmark   July 14, 2012 at 6:14AM
planatus(6)

In my experience, the cut stems eventually develop pockets of rot and the weakened plants never recover good vigor. I'd take them out and start over with something new for fall. My brocs and close relatives came out three weeks ago and I was glad to see them go.

Bookmark   July 14, 2012 at 8:27AM
carrielinnea

Thank you both! It's showing no signs of cooling off anytime soon (and I don't have another spot for fall crops), so I think I will pull them.

Bookmark   July 14, 2012 at 11:06AM
More Discussions
FRUSTRATED in the California High Desert
I have been trying to grow a garden in the desert for...
zephyr66
Tomato cages
I have a large number (40+) tomato cages made from...
drscottr
Fertilising
Hello All, I am planning my winter crop (live in New...
bopwinter
Planting Oca in Tubs?
Has anyone done this with any success? How big a tub...
aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
Asparagus woes
I piled leaves on my asparagus bed when I cut it back...
nancyjane_gardener
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™