Help with Snake Plant growing in spring?

soughtseven1035March 24, 2014

I have a snake plant that I bought during this past winter. It has survived indoors pretty well. I know this plant doesn't like a lot of water though.

I just saw today that it began sprouting up a new plant to the right of the original. I have it in a 4" pot still. I know you can propagate these plants by cutting off the top and putting them in new pots. I tried that, but the weather was extremely cold so it did not grow well.

Since this plant likes so much sun, can I put it outside during the summer?

How do I handle the little sprout that came up from the soil in the pot? I don't want it taking nutrients away from the main plant. Can I take it out somehow or what should I do? Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

No need to do anything - just let it grow .... or separate it from the main plant and start another. I wouldn't put the plant in direct sun, but it WILL show its appreciation if you put it outdoors after night temps are reliably above 55*.

If you want it to have the best opportunity to realize its potential, knock all the soil off the root mass & repot into a 6" pot and a really chunky soil, and fertilize it regularly. I'll link you to a thread you might find to be illuminating .... and don't be bashful about asking questions.

What you grow in has a very significant impact on what kind of return you can expect for your efforts. A healthy root system is a prerequisite to a healthy plant. Learn how to keep the roots happy and the rest is easy.

Al

Here is a link that might be useful: Click me to see what he's talking about ....

Bookmark   March 24, 2014 at 6:09PM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

The new sprout does not take anything from the mother plant. That is how these plants spread, it's a normal and healthy reaction.

You should also know that many people love Sansevieria because they thrive in locations with low light. You'll find it on nearly all 'top ten' lists of best houseplants for low light conditions.

Bookmark   March 24, 2014 at 7:12PM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL(8B AL)

Below is a pic showing what's going on under the surface. The mama and pup are connected under the soil. You can separate the baby if you want a 2nd plant. Include some of the rhizome/roots by cutting or snapping it apart from the mama. It is also possible to propagate new plants from leaves, or pieces of leaves. After being cut, they should callous (dry) before putting them in soil. If cutting/snapping rhizomes apart, it's safer (in terns of reduced risk of rot) to let those callous overnight before repotting also.

They do tolerate low light well, but can/will grow much more quickly with more light.

Bookmark   March 25, 2014 at 9:12AM
More Discussions
Transplant Help!!?
What's the best way to break up a really compact root...
halocline
Pepperomia
i have been struggling with this ornery little persnickity...
suyoder
Advice needed - Frostbitten Schefflera
Hi all. Seven days ago, I moved house and took a couple...
massakyr - Zone 2b
My Calathea is blooming - hehe
Flowers look pretty good!
jujujojo_gw
HELP!!!!
I just recently bough this plant and it has all this...
lorennland
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™