Can I put these 2 plants together?

Lamora(4)March 11, 2012

I want to put my little Golden Potho in with a starter of my Brasil. I figure they take the same care.. almost look alike. The Potho is very small, only 5 leaves on it-- 3 are chewed up, no starts or vines. Just leaves. I wanted to know if putting these plants together would be a good idea.

I know they are from different families of plants-- but would it work?

I tried looking up "companion plants" but the only things I found anything for,are vegetables gardens. (I know I am missing something there)

If I am being a pest w/all these questions-- let me know. I will tone it down. ;) try things on my own..

Marjie

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

Sure you can.

What you can or can't grow together ranges from "the plants you choose as companions is critical if you're using a heavy, water-retentive soil" to "you can grow almost any combination of plants commonly grown as houseplants (except cacti) if the soil is well-aerated, drains fast, and holds no/little perched water. As an example - you could grow alocasia, peace lily, pothos .... in the same container as a mix of succulent in the gritty mix with no problems.

Al

Here is a link that might be useful: A similar thread with more info.

Bookmark   March 11, 2012 at 7:26PM
gravyboots(7B)

Go for it Lamora!!

In my opinion, the limiting factor would be light, and if both plants have similar light requirements, why not give it a try?

Post a picture, we'd love to see your results

GB

PS - I've got some spider plants fostering in larger pots: vari with an Aglaonema, and a solid green one with a Dracaena marginata.

Bookmark   March 11, 2012 at 7:49PM
summersunlight(5b)

Pothis and Brasil philodendron are pretty similar to each other, and neither one is all that fussy. I think it would work fine.

Bookmark   March 12, 2012 at 12:24AM
Lamora(4)

Thanks! will do it tomorrow.. it will look a bit chewed up tho. the starter of the Potho was chewed up too... stupid cat anyway. I am hoping that sooner or later those leaves won't matter much and new ones will hide them some.

I don't have the gritty mix yet, not sure when I will be able to get it. All I have atm is some MG soil and perlite. The bark my daughter was going to give me is being used. I think I misunderstood her when (I think) she offered it to me, oh well, no biggy.

Was going to put 2pt perlite to 1pt soil for now.. would that be ok till I can get the gritty mix? I have a feeling it will be a while before I can get that.

Humm.. maybe I will throw a spider or 2 in it too!! Just to see.. ;) or not. So far I have been treating all my plants basicly the same for the most part. So maybe that would work. Experimenting with them..just to see.. Just thinking about it is fun!

Marjie

Bookmark   March 12, 2012 at 1:07AM
More Discussions
What to do with Alocasia tubers?
As the lower leaves on my Alocasia poly died over time,...
greentoe357
Christmas cactus help needed please!!
I inherited this plant from my uncle, he had it forever....
Stef Cunningham
Aglaonema - help
I bought this red aglaonema couple of months back....
bluehaven_gweb
Moisture Meter?
I have a mechanical moisture meter, and it has increasingly...
trclac
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™