My Jasmine Sambac - is this normal?

goddess9(7b)March 14, 2012

I bought this plant at the Philadelphia Flower Show, and just now noticed that the underside of the leaves all have these white "bumps" near the veins. I don't know quite how to explain it.

Near the middle of the leaf - you see? When I swipe the area with rubbing alcohol, nothing moves. They kind of look like tiny, tiny hairs. I'm obsessive about my plants being bug-free. Does any one have input as to whether I should worry or not?

BTW, the new leaves don't have these but the "teenage" leaves start to. Please, please help!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
odyssey3(7 noVA)

I would rub the problem areas with an alcohol saturated paper towel. If the bumps still remain, they are probably just some harmless areas of oedema.

Bookmark   March 15, 2012 at 7:00PM
auron22(6b OH)

It could be normal like the poster above mentioned, but if its not my best guess is white flies. My dad had a wax plant that he severely neglected and it had an infestation of white flies. There were fuzzy white things all over it, some large and some small. If this is the case simply wipe the leaves and spray the leaves with a mixture of neem oil, dish soap and water once every 2-4 weeks until it is completely gone.

Bookmark   April 4, 2012 at 10:49PM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Those little bumps are not whitefly.

Bookmark   April 4, 2012 at 11:01PM
birdsnblooms

Auron. When a plant has whitefly, when touched or brushed against, whitefly take off..They're quite fast.
Sounds like your dads Wax Begonia had Mealy Bugs.

I agree with Odyssey. If bumps don't wash/rub off, they're not insects.
To be sure, check leaves daily. See if bumps move or grow. Toni

Bookmark   April 5, 2012 at 12:41PM
goddess9(7b)

Thanks for the input, folks.

My Jasmine's growth has really taken off and all of the new leaves have that as well. Rubbing alcohol does nothing to this bumps, so I leave them alone. Nothing comes off, nothing moves. The stems have similar hairs so I'm assuming nothing is afoul.

Bookmark   April 10, 2012 at 10:27AM
More Discussions
Is bud blast of big-box store Phalaenopsis genetic?
I love houseplants. Phals make great houseplants. I...
jujujojo_gw
Aglaonema - help
I bought this red aglaonema couple of months back....
bluehaven_gweb
Pothos Problems
My poor pothos is struggling. I've attached a few pictures,...
mwhcrew32
Adenium seedlings
HI all, I haven't posted here in a couple years now......
ttkidd
What is this?
Noticed today that my 'perfect' Spider plant of the...
MrBlubs
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™