propagating prayer plant?

jmc_1987(7a VA)March 18, 2007

Hi. I have a variegated prayer plant that i wanted to propagate, but its only a single plant(not multiple plants where i could divide the root ball). I read in a Miracle Gro houseplant book that you could propagate by stem cuttings. I also notice that the plant stems have nodes, so would i just cut off below the node and place in compost and keep humid? And how long would this take?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ara133(central PA)

Marantas seem to be really easy to propagate by cuttings. The method you described is fine, though I don't think I'd use compost, personally - something more sterile is probably better, like rhizo_1's idea of moistened vermiculite.

I typically use moistened sand&vermiculite because I have it on hand, but any sort of mostly sterile medium should work. You could also just use water, but do be careful when transplanting to soil/potting mix after you see roots as 'water roots' are not very hardy.

When I have rooted Maranta cuttings in water, I see new roots after what seems to be an extremely short amount of time, maybe 2 weeks if not sooner.

Bookmark   March 18, 2007 at 10:48PM
More Discussions
Does anyone know the name of this plant?
Does anyone know the name of this plant?
Aran Yeo
Name that plant!
I found this plant at Walmart with the usual "foliage"...
elizabeth_101
Alii Ficus
Ok, today I picked up an Alii Ficus. Thing is, I spotted...
Joe1980
Plant identification & care
The plant in photo was grown by my friend from cuttings...
bobv2
Fern leaves browning and curling - any idea why?
I have this fern in my bathroom, right by a frosted...
yayanz9
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™