Elephant's foot house plant

barbara_nw_usa(USDA Zone 6)March 11, 2011

I have this "old" elephant's foot house plant that has gotten too tall. All of the growth is at the top of the 8' trunk. It has never had any new growth starts out of the bulbous caudex. Is it possible to cut off the top and re-pot this portion?

Also, might any new starts appear on the caudex that remains above ground level? If so, how would I go about doing this?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

Generally, the caudex on plants that form them is the focal point of the plant. What if we developed a plan to chase foliage back lower - would you want to keep the caudex then? When was the last time you removed the old soil and repotted?

Can you post a picture or email one?

Al

Bookmark   March 11, 2011 at 9:40PM
amccour

I don't think these generally branch unless they're either really old or get damage. I think what you're describing is just how they grow. You might want to bug the C&S forum.

Bookmark   March 11, 2011 at 10:30PM
cactusmcharris

Barbara,

Beheading an old Beaucarnea recurvata will cause it to branch in the growing season. Just keep the cut area dry. Repotting into an appropriately larger pot, with fresh soil, air circulation, warmth, light and proper water will stimulate growth in your plant, so you might want to wait until ambient temps are warmer. I don't think the cut portion can be rerooted, but I could be wrong.

Bookmark   March 12, 2011 at 4:48PM
amccour

cactus:

I think I also remember that fairly superficial but not entirely superficial cuts to the caudex could also induce branching at that point but that sounds... not entirely impossible but not that likely. Ever heard anything about that?

Bookmark   March 12, 2011 at 4:56PM
squeakkt_gmail_com

I just got an elephant foot plant. don't really know how to care for it. any info would be great. it sims to be getting alot of brown on the tips of the leaves don't know why. I guess I have to plant it in a bigger pot.

Bookmark   July 14, 2011 at 1:11PM
More Discussions
Can anyone ID this tree?
It's about 8' tall, a normal 'tree shape'. We got it...
laura242424
Question on pot-up house Azaleas
I have no problem growing florist Azalea as a houseplant....
jujujojo_gw
The "Show Off" Thread
I love coming to this site for all kinds of useful...
savannaicus
Pine Bark Fines Ontario Canada
Okay...5-1-1 mix! I am having trouble. First off the...
RioSeven
March Flowers
I feel guilty posting this as teen usually does but...
MrBlubs
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™