Help Mammy

sugi_c(9a)March 6, 2013

OK, I overdid it a bit.
This little girl was hanging out at OSH when I stopped by for ONE THING (not a plant) in completely dry, hardened soil but she looked so colorful and reminded me of one I used to have, that I brought her home. Despite the dry soil, she looked healthy.

I had some gritty mix on hand at home and immediately took to repotting her.

First mistake, I didn't even water her before ejecting her from her old home.
Second mistake, I untangled all of her roots and nicely gave it a trim. I do this to all of my plants and 95% love it; I can't say this is the only time they haven't appreciated the extra effort...

End result: a very sad, pitiful Mammy.
To the left is the day I bought it. To the right is earlier today.

Any ideas on how, if at all possible, I can help her a little? I've only watered her and put her closer to a bright window....

She's so...limp! :-*(

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
teengardener1888(NY Albany 5a)

i would continue watering and hope for the best

Bookmark   March 6, 2013 at 7:59PM
marguerite_gw

I would encase in a clear plastic bag until she perks up.

Bookmark   March 7, 2013 at 4:35PM
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

I agree with Marguerite - just don't allow the leaves to touch the sides of the bag, and leave a little hole for some air flow. It should be ok. I saw your thread today over at containers - strong work! ;-)

Al

Bookmark   March 7, 2013 at 5:06PM
sugi_c(9a)

Al! Thank you, sir. I'm glad you read it; I was terrified going ahead with it without having your stamp of approval on the mix! :-)

Thanks to you guys -- LOOK!
She's baaaa-aack!!

I did put her into a plastic bag after a thorough watering. But the leaves had to touch the side because I couldn't think of any concoction to make to cover it up without the leaves touching. So instead, I gathered the leaves up (the way the plant should have looked and put it inside a back and closed it up with one small hole for ventliation. That was yesterday afternoon, and today --- I undid the bag because I noticed even when I moved the plastic a little, the leaves were standing.

She's baaa-aaack! I didn't kill her.
And then this makes a 100% success rate in repotting my plants into gritty mix. :-)

Bookmark   March 8, 2013 at 5:39PM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

Very good!

Just keep the upper layers of mix moist while the roots are re-establishing themselves over the next few weeks. After that, you can allow the mix to dry down a bit more.

Josh

Bookmark   March 8, 2013 at 8:09PM
teengardener1888(NY Albany 5a)

Thats wonderful! Putting the plant in plastic was a wonderful idea! I love croton and I'm nursing it along. I brought it at lowes in a 4 In pot and it lost a couple of leaves. I was worried about its health but it grew new leaves. they are such beautiful plants

Bookmark   March 8, 2013 at 9:39PM
delreytropical(6)

Have two crotons ones itty bitty the other is as full as they get inside, love the comparison! Your beautiful pictures make me want to try a mammy croton! will be looking in the future :)

Bookmark   March 8, 2013 at 10:07PM
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

I had a strong feeling the plant would rebound, based on the picture you'd supplied. Good job! .... love your enthusiasm, too!

Al

Bookmark   March 9, 2013 at 1:50PM
aviolet6(7)

What can I do to get mine to grow? It just sits there. How much light do they like?

Tricia

Bookmark   March 20, 2013 at 7:23PM
sugi_c(9a)

Tricia, I think these like a lot of high light. Bright but without sun burning down on it?
I have mine right up against my south windowsill; the sill can get pounded but up against the wall on the table doesn't receive but maybe 30 minutes of direct sun. It's pushing out new leaves so I presume it's growing well, but then I nearly murdered it by repotting it, so what do I know lol?

They will also not turn into multiple colors as they should w/o access to bright light.

Bookmark   March 20, 2013 at 7:38PM
More Discussions
Peperomia "Rosso"
I bought this plant recently....does anyone else have...
RioSeven
Satus Update!
It was 52 degrees yesterday, and in my yard I found...
Rhamel(teengardener1888)
House Plants
Dracaenta Marginata
davers71
Options to water the plant while away from office .
Dear All Would like to know your opinions on any options...
lukein123
Question on pot-up house Azaleas
I have no problem growing florist Azalea as a houseplant....
jujujojo_gw
Sponsored Products
Animals Matter Small Upholstered Pet Steps
$129.00 | FRONTGATE
3Form Brushed Nickel LED Clips Rectangle Wall Sconce with Fossil Leaf Ecoresin S
$504.95 | Bellacor
Del Mar 6-Piece Bedding Set - Navy - 2P785502NY
$119.99 | Hayneedle
Sterling Finesse 5405-59-G03 59.625W x 58.3125H in. Frosted Glass Bath Door - 54
$776.99 | Hayneedle
Concord Eliza Multi-Colored Rectangular: 3 Ft. 4 In. x 5 Ft. Rug
$86.40 | Bellacor
Lunar Rug 3'6" x 5'6" - AMETHYST
$399.00 | Horchow
Red Lizzy Shag Rug
$49.99 | zulily
Luminescent Rug 5'6" x 7'5" - BEIGE
$759.00 | Horchow
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™