Pilea "Moon Valley" pale/bleached leaves

wolfpup64(8a TX)March 14, 2013

I have this Pilea "Moon Valley" plant - It was a brilliant green when I first got it. Now only the new growth is green, all other leaves have taken on a pink/white coloration. While I think it's kinda neat looking, I wonder what is causing this..

I know Pilea likes bright indirect light, and humidity. I've read that too much sun can burn the leaves, but the legginess leaves me wondering..Is the loss of coloration due to too much or too little light? Not enough humidity? Chlorosis? Do I need to fertilize?

The colors changed while being kept by an East facing window, so now I've moved it to a South facing room away from the window. What is really the best place for it?

This post was edited by wolfpup64 on Thu, Mar 14, 13 at 20:38

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL

Hi Wolf, welcome to Gardenweb! Is the soil usually moist or soggy? Might be more of a root issue than a sun issue. I'm sure someone more familiar with this Pilea's light preference will come by soon.

Bookmark   March 15, 2013 at 2:51PM
wolfpup64(8a TX)

Thanks for the welcome. :)

Overwatering may be a possibility. I once nearly lost it, but I took some cuttings and regrew it to what you see in the photo. But I have gone a lot easier on the watering since then. Still wondering about nutrients and light though, I don't often fertilize my houseplants.. so just in case I have given it a little diluted fertilizer today.

Bookmark   March 15, 2013 at 5:05PM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL

Wish I knew more to tell you. I had a purple waffle Pilea for years that would be happy outside in hours of direct sun while warm enough to be outside, made tiny white flowers. My instinct is that this plant needs more light, less water... Winter rays are much less strong than summer rays, might need shade during summer but is starved for light during the shorter, weaker days. A lot of house plants can be like that, at least from what I've seen.

Bookmark   March 16, 2013 at 9:14AM
More Discussions
P. erubescens: smaller and ever smaller
Hello, all. I posted this in the Aroid Forum but the...
fakechuchi
What is this?
Noticed today that my 'perfect' Spider plant of the...
MrBlubs
mini indoor palm tree dilemma help please!
Hey guys, I have a mini palm tree in my bedroom. It...
queenofhearts3
Spider plant vs Mother-in-Law's Tongue: Day vs Night
I know that Spider plant and Mother-in-Law's Tongue...
dert17
Schefflera and corn plant sharing a pot?
Anyone tried planting schefflera and Dracaena Fragrans...
Peter
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™