Various August questions in Massachusetts zone 6

prairiemoon2 z6 MAAugust 11, 2014

Costata Romanesca Summer Squash - how large should you let them get when you pick them? -- The older leaves are getting what looks like PM, I just keep cutting them off. As long as it is producing I should just ignore them?

Trionfo de Violette Pole Beans -- are the leaves supposed to have a purple cast to them? [the beans are purple] Or is it a deficiency of some sort?

Are you fertilizing weekly right up until frost, even when fruits are ripening?

Is it better to leave a mature Broccoli Arcadia plant to produce side shoots after you've harvested a head or to pull it out and add a young Broccoli Packman transplant?

Can you direct sow Scallions now in Massachuetts zone 6?

Do you collect seed from - Bok Choy, Cilantro, Dill, other? Or do you just allow them to self seed?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pnbrown

I would think it's a little late for scallions from seed now. If you want to send me an SASE I'll fill it up with bulbils of walking onion - they make excellent scallions and you'll never have to worry about sowing them again.

Costata holds its eating quality to a larger size than many varieties, but still I like to get them on the smallish side - less than a foot long, say.

Bookmark   August 11, 2014 at 6:46AM
planatus(6)

I think you're stuck with your Arcadia because it's too late to set out Packman unless you're going to install a tunnel or something.

I collect some dill and cilantro seeds for cooking and planting and allow a few plants to self sow.

I just sowed overwintering onions which will grow under a tunnel all winter. Brown is right about topsets from walking onions making great scallions for fall and again in spring. Can't beat 'em. I have a couple of perennial bunching onions and they are slobs compared to the walking onions.

Bookmark   August 11, 2014 at 8:32AM
prairiemoon2 z6 MA

PNBrown, great, our Costata are just at 12 inches, so we'll keep them that size. And thanks very much for the offer of walking onion bulbils, I may take you up on that. I'll email you through GW! I appreciate it!

Planatus, I have some Remay fabric I could cover them with, do you think that would work for the Packman? I wonder what this winter is going to be like, after last year. A nice warm long fall or a short one -- guess we shall soon see.

Good idea with the dill and cilantro, do both and cover your bases. And thanks for the thumbs up for the walking onions. :-)

Bookmark   August 11, 2014 at 8:38AM
wayne_5 zone 6a Central Indiana

Is it better to leave a mature Broccoli Arcadia plant to produce side shoots after you've harvested a head or to pull it out and add a young Broccoli Packman transplant?

I find that the spring and fall broccoli crops have plenty of space between them so that it isn't an either or thing.

No need to fertilize late in the season.

Bookmark   August 11, 2014 at 11:20AM
oldmobie Z6, SW MO(Zone 6)

My first year with the Trionfo Violetto beans. Got 10 seeds in a GW trade, all 10 germinated! The leaves are colored much like the almost mature beans; dark green with a strong purple tint. They produce well and look healthy, so I guess they're supposed to be that way.

Bookmark   August 11, 2014 at 12:04PM
prairiemoon2 z6 MA

Wayne, thatâÂÂs a good idea. I can plant the starts between the mature plants and pull them when they are in the way. Thanks!

And saving me money on fertilizer too. :-)

Oldmobie, oh good that the purple cast on the foliage is supposed to be there. I am really enjoy our vines this year. They are a good size bean and turn green when cooked and I love how easily they pull away from the vine when you are harvesting.

That's a nice cattle panel tunnel you have there too!

Bookmark   August 12, 2014 at 11:53AM
More Discussions
weed or seedling
In the area of this seedling my daughter put radish...
sepulvd
Problem Peas - germination
Can anyone advise me on the best way of getting peas...
Steve Kind
what varieties of watermelons are you growing?
what varieties of watermelons are you growing?
gridgardener
Artichoke Failure, HELP!!!
I am in zone 7a, middle TN, and attempting to grow...
Trinacria
Why is Zucchini Stem Splitting?
This is my first year growing zucchini. It's in a container...
Cliff Pruitt
Sponsored Products
New One of a kind Tribal Hand Knotted Kazak 6x9 Persian Oriental Wool Rug H3398
BH Sun Inc
Stein World Swank Accent Chest
Beyond Stores
Hatha Desk Lamp
Lightology
Foscarini | Diesel Collection Cage Mic Linear Multipoint Pendant
$760.00 | YLighting
Kartell | Dr. NA Table
$750.00 | YLighting
Safavieh Handmade Heritage Kermansha Blue/ Beige Wool Rug (6' Square)
Overstock.com
White Floor Lamp: Designer Collection 59.5 in. White Floor Lamp with Fabric Shad
Home Depot
Owl Family Set - 4 Pieces
$69.99 | Dot & Bo
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™