Would this work with broccoli?

catherinet(5 IN)August 15, 2014

Unfortunately, I let my broccoli just go to seed. Can I just cut the seeds off and they might make some Fall broccoli?
Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
defrost49

I think at this point, it's too late. It also depends on the variety since I find some are not good at making side shoots. Once a plant has made seeds, its job is done and time to shut down.

Bookmark   August 15, 2014 at 9:46AM
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

Hybrid variety or not? Are the seeds fully dry and mature? If you want to try it this late you will have to plan to cover and protect them from hard freeze. Awfully late for planting from seed in zone 5.

Dave

Bookmark   August 15, 2014 at 11:30AM
woohooman

Not a problem as long as it's a variety that produces side shoots(like defrost said)... most do produce side shoots. Just clip off all stalks that have/had flowers on them, and wait for more side shoots. You might even want to let one stalk, or plant, keep flowering so you can save seed.

Kevin

Bookmark   August 15, 2014 at 1:15PM
ltilton

Agreeing with defrost. This is best done by removing all summer sprouts as they start to flower.

Bookmark   August 15, 2014 at 1:33PM
catherinet(5 IN)

Thanks everyone. The variety is "Packman".

Bookmark   August 16, 2014 at 7:52AM
planatus(6)

I don't think seeds that sprout this late have a chance of making a crop by the end of Oct. In my experience, plants must be established and ready to take advantage of the last warm spells in Aug and Sept to do well.

I'm letting two DeCiccos bloom now because bee forage is falling off and the buzzing brigade likes the flowers.

Bookmark   August 16, 2014 at 8:36AM
NHBabs(4b-5aNH)

IME Packman does a good job with side shoots.

Bookmark   August 16, 2014 at 8:45AM
ltilton

I note that my seedling bok choi has been ravaged this month by pests that I don't see, undeterred by row cover. Another reason not to start broccoli if I can get side shoots from the spring planting.

Bookmark   August 16, 2014 at 9:24AM
woohooman

catherinet: These are plants from the Spring, correct?

If so, do what I suggested. You have nothing to lose except a bit of time and water. Like nhbabs said, Packman does a pretty good job at side shoots. You probably noticed that when it was flowering. That's the key to the side shoots --- check them daily... if you see any separation at all, it's time to harvest. If you don't, within a few days, the stalk will get woody and they'll start to flower.

Kevin

Bookmark   August 16, 2014 at 12:43PM
catherinet(5 IN)

Yes, these were planted as plants in the spring. I did get alot of side shoots from them, after the main part was cut. I'll give it a try!

Bookmark   August 16, 2014 at 3:52PM
More Discussions
Planting Oca in Tubs?
Has anyone done this with any success? How big a tub...
aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
Best kind of mulch for vegetable garden
What kind of mulch is recommended for a veggie garden?...
Peter
eggplant not germinating
I put in my eggplant seeds on 1/25 and left them on...
NewTXGardener (8a Dallas)
Starting a garden in Corpus Christi Texas
I am a beginning gardener and I have gotten some helpful...
mollysmom_2008
pepper with Brown spots
I researched about this disease and it says that a...
keyki5
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™