What plants can I have in my sunlight deprived apartment?

mooncat89March 13, 2014

I have an apartment with one window that gets a few hours of sunlight during the summer and that's it. I would really like to fill my room with as many plants as possible, I don't think it's impossible for plants to exist without much sunlight it's just I don't know where to find those plants or what plants they are. Can someone please tell me what plants can live in my room besides lucky bamboo? I really like the fern they sell at Lowe's indoors, I just want to be sure they'll survive without hardly getting any direct sunlight.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
summersunlight(5b)

What direction does the window face? That affects how much light it will give.
Aglaonema (AKA Chinese evergreen) is very tolerant of low light and would be a good option.

Bookmark   March 14, 2014 at 1:00AM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL

If you mean the sun is shining directly on/at the the window for a few hours, that's enough for many plants!

Bookmark   March 14, 2014 at 8:32AM
paul_(z5 MI)

Plastic and silk plants would work.

Your options are, as you suspect, very limited. If you invest in a lighted plant stand/rack or go with some large terrariums, that would increase your options.

Bookmark   March 15, 2014 at 2:49PM
subtropix

Very hard to gage your light quality from the info you have provided. Yes, southern, unobstructed windows are good (you can always block excessive light). But, I have seen NYC apartments with only big, northern exposure (unobstructed windows) that are very, very bright (reflected sun, large windows, etc.).

Try Aglaonema, Philos, parlor palms, Dracaena, Fatsia, ferns, moth orchids, and marantas for starters.

Bookmark   March 15, 2014 at 3:54PM
floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK

I have only one windowsill in my home and that is in the basement. I hate the look of shelving and plant lights and would rather be without plants inside than live with a lot of paraphernalia. The same applies to artificial plants. This is what you could have, even underground, with only natural light and the usual kitchen lights. Spider Plants, Begonia, Schefflera, Anthurium. The Scheff is now three times that size.

Bookmark   March 15, 2014 at 4:15PM
petrushka

in addition to that also zz plants and sansevieria - for vertical accents and very easy care (or non-care depending on how you look at it ;)). golden pothos (regular, not super variegated variety) as a vine/trailer.
also syngonium and swedish ivy (plectrantus) in hanging baskets are good.
peperomias, tradescantia , but they need to be kept moist.
for larger plants: dieffenbachia (dump cane) and various dracaenas.
even some flowers are possible: peace lily and african violets.
really, lots of choices.

Bookmark   March 15, 2014 at 4:44PM
MK

Mother in law tongue, ficus Benjamina come to mind

Bookmark   March 15, 2014 at 7:04PM
paul_(z5 MI)

You can always do a terrarium or two, Floral.

Bookmark   March 16, 2014 at 12:43PM
floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK

That's what I mean by paraphernalia, Paul. Lovely plants, but sorry, the fish tank aspect of it is just not my cup of tea;-)

Bookmark   March 16, 2014 at 2:28PM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL

That's looking fantastic, Paul! I'm still waiting to figure out how much light we're talkin' about here... Mooncat?

Bookmark   March 17, 2014 at 12:41PM
More Discussions
Alii Ficus
Ok, today I picked up an Alii Ficus. Thing is, I spotted...
Joe1980
My Calathea is blooming - hehe
Flowers look pretty good!
jujujojo_gw
Moisture Meter?
I have a mechanical moisture meter, and it has increasingly...
trclac
Aglaonema - help
I bought this red aglaonema couple of months back....
bluehaven_gweb
help me identify this plant
It's indoor, never flowers, has kind of waxy, viney...
princessasamuela
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™