clearance magestic palm

SmurfishyMarch 17, 2012

I decided to buy these decent size majestic palm plants priced at $6 a peice. I am very new to this plant. First bad thing I noticed is that they were bone dry, second thing I noticed was a dead plant, I pulled it out and there were some bugs where the dead stump was. When I got it home I noticed I would have some work to do with pruning the dead ends and that there were round brown spots in plenty various places.

Is this plant helpless, should I bring it back? Whats the best way to prune? When I re-pot should I break up the individual plants and loosen/cut the roots as I would with other plants? Thanx for any help/advice!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
summersunlight(5b)

Majesty Palms in particular are really hard to keep alive in normal house conditions. The best strategy would be to put it outside for the spring/summer and then (assuming you live in a cold climate) bring it inside only for the winter.
They really prefer the warmth, sunshine, and humidity of being outside and it will be hard to keep it happy inside a home.

Bookmark   March 18, 2012 at 11:57AM
Smurfishy

I repotted it and pruned it using a home made potting mix. I put some old fish tank gravel at the bottom to help with drainage. I did not break up the roots or anything because I read in a few places that it likes being root bound. I then cut off all the ends I saw that were browned, I think there is a bunch of new growth that died off but I am going to wait and see what happens before pruning it.

Bookmark   March 18, 2012 at 4:15PM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL(8B AL)

Hi, welcome to gardenweb.

round brown spots in plenty various places...

Do you mean dead spots on the leaves or bumpy spots? Trimming off the dead parts is a good idea. Rarely is a plant helpless, so I doubt yours are. Would you have an interest in showing us some pics?

The thing about "likes to be root bound" is a fallacy, IMO, and in most plant-o-phile's O's. You can find more discussions about this by searching this forum.

Bookmark   March 19, 2012 at 10:48AM
summersunlight(5b)

If you meant that there are "bumpy" spots on the plant, that concerns me that the plant might be infested with the scale insect. If that is the case, I would definitely say to return the plant to the store if you can.
As I said before, Majesty palm is extremely hard to keep alive indoors even if you start with a healthy plant. Don't feel like it was your fault if this plant dies because many other people have had this plant die too.
If the plant has bugs, then I wouldn't even try to keep it alive. I'd just take it back to the store.

Bookmark   March 19, 2012 at 1:05PM
More Discussions
What kind of plant is this?
I recently purchased a houseplant from b&q but...
hancoll
Options to water the plant while away from office .
Dear All Would like to know your opinions on any options...
lukein123
Desert Rose That Will Not Bloom
I have a desert rose that is roughly 4 or 5 years old....
Tiffany Martin
Question on pot-up house Azaleas
I have no problem growing florist Azalea as a houseplant....
jujujojo_gw
Only 1/2 of a schefflera remaining...
4 years ago, I adopted this schefflera from a bank...
greenintrigue
Sponsored Products
Fleur-di-Lis Antique Silver 48-inch to 86-inch Double Curtain Rod
$49.95 | Bellacor
WAC LEDmeĀ® Double Spotlight Recessed Trim with Housing
Euro Style Lighting
Flourish Mahogany 28 to 48 Inch Blossom Curtain Rod
$29.95 | Bellacor
WAC Lighting | HR-LED309-R - 3 in. LED Remodel NON-IC Housing
$153.00 | YLighting
LED Air Tight 4" Dedicated Remodel ICAT Housing
$23.91 | Lamps Plus
WAC Tesla LED Double 40 Degree Recessed Trim with Housing
Euro Style Lighting
Kraus C-GV-100-12mm-15000 Crystal Clear Glass Vessel Sink and Ventus Faucet - C-
$269.95 | Hayneedle
NoTrax Door Mats Portrait Burgundy 48 in. x 120 in. Rubber-Backed Entrance Mat
Home Depot
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™