any on know about string of bananas

murphy357April 18, 2008

I was at my wholesale supplie today to get a string of beads plant. Of Course they were out but they had a string of banana plant. Looks the same just longer pods. Does any one know how to propagate these. Would you just place them over top of a pot with dirt in it or would you use a medium. I was told they were easy to take care of.Thank you in advance

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
birdsnblooms

Murphy, String of Bananas will root either way..placing atop soil, or sticking a stem in soil. I don't think individual 'bananas' will root like Kalanchoe, but never tried it either.
Accents sells both bananas and beads. Toni

Bookmark   April 18, 2008 at 1:10AM
darkruler

you can just root the same way you root the String Of Beads

Bookmark   April 18, 2008 at 8:28PM
pirate_girl(Zone7 NYC)

Hi,

I believe individual leaves will root the same way as, what's that common name "burros tail"? aka Sedum morganianum. Sure wouldn't hurt to try.

Bookmark   April 18, 2008 at 10:02PM
tootswisc(z4/5Wi)

I have a string of....footballs-not quite pearls or bananas. I have a bit of trouble getting mine to root. I think my most successful try was in moist perlite or was it seed starting stuff. I kept a plastic bag over it most of the time. I seem to have problems with the strings drying up and dying before they root. I love my plant and have kept it alive for several years and managed to give some starts away. I find it needs more water than most other succulents.

Bookmark   April 18, 2008 at 10:53PM
More Discussions
Moisture Meter?
I have a mechanical moisture meter, and it has increasingly...
trclac
Alii Ficus
Ok, today I picked up an Alii Ficus. Thing is, I spotted...
Joe1980
Christmas cactus help needed please!!
I inherited this plant from my uncle, he had it forever....
Stef Cunningham
Plant identification & care
The plant in photo was grown by my friend from cuttings...
bobv2
Pothos Problems
My poor pothos is struggling. I've attached a few pictures,...
mwhcrew32
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™