Easter or Spring Cactus

luvofrosesApril 8, 2009

I found a very pretty Spring Cactus that has buds on it . I think mine will have fushia colored blooms. I know nothing of this plant.How do i repot it, what kind of soil does it require? Does it have any special requirements Have i bitten of too much for a novice? I had a Christmas cactus millions of years ago but don't remember doing anything special to it and it was huge and bloomed a lot. Is this similar? Any help or advice would be so much appreciated.

Ann

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
maidinmontana(Zone 5 Billings MT)

Hi Ann, hopefully the member here will jump in and give you a link to a wonderful site to learn about these plants. I saw one yesterday at our most high end flower shop and it was full, I mean loaded w/ buds and a few had opened. I hesitated to buy it as they are known for dropping their buds when they are moved when budding out. I asked the guy there about my concern and he didn't convince me it wouldn't so I didn't buy it. It was $25.00 and that's a lot of money for a plant. Granted, it will bloom again, so it isn't a total loss. I still may go buy one if I don't see them anywhere any cheaper.

DON'T repot it now!I do know they like to be tight in the pot in order to bloom. Yours being a new plant should be ok in that pot for quite awhile, months even years. They also say no fertilizer while in the budding stage. My CC had blooms this past year, not knowing it as they were so tiny, I moved it AND fed it! All the buds dropped off. Easter/Spring cactus are identical to the other holiday C's. Treat it as you did your other one, and read the link if it is sent to you. Good luck. Welcome to the wonderful world of growing.
Debi

Bookmark   April 8, 2009 at 8:52AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gobluedjm

Easter/Spring cacti are treated the same at Xmas cacti except different times of the year.
Do not repot it until after it blooms and it's resting period.
The link is below.

Here is a link that might be useful: holiday cacti

Bookmark   April 8, 2009 at 10:25AM
More Discussions
How to make this fiddle leaf branch out.
This is a fiddle leaf that I wanted to buy on Craigslist....
Pete
White bugs in saucer under spider plant
I found a pile of these small white bugs in the saucer...
Caitlin Maraist
Has anybody seen the micro ZZ Plant "Zamicro"?
They are a smaller amd more compact cultivar of the...
tlbean2004
A lighter gritty mix and a 5-1-1 question
Hey, So I love gritty mix and only have a few plants...
hottomato99
Pine Bark Fines Ontario Canada
Okay...5-1-1 mix! I am having trouble. First off the...
RioSeven
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™