Help identify yet another plant

ladysingsthblusApril 17, 2013

This one was posted on another forum.
"Just popping by to see if anyone could help identify this plant/weed thing I found. I live in temperate Georgia, and I found these in the lawn of a house that hasn't been lived in for a couple years and is being renovated. They look very onion-like to me and some of the tendrils have clover-like leaves on them. They're also pretty small, the knobby bits being only like an inch or two in length. "

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
alisonoz_gw

It does look like Oxalis, some of which are dreadfully weedy and hard to remove as bulbils form off the larger ones which spread - hence you need to remove a good sod of earth and possibly sieve soil around to ensure removal. Chemical control probably would work too once larger ones are out.
Mind you there are a lot of very nice, non-invasive flowering oxalis but odds are that this isn't one of them

Bookmark   April 17, 2013 at 3:31AM
asleep_in_the_garden

Oxalis.

Bookmark   April 17, 2013 at 3:32AM
asleep_in_the_garden

LOL I was a little too slow! :)

Bookmark   April 17, 2013 at 3:34AM
ladysingsthblus

Indeed, you were both quite fast! I appreciate it.

Bookmark   April 17, 2013 at 3:40AM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL

Not sure where you are, but surprised those plants aren't full of little pink flowers. They might already be finished in Z10, IDK.

I love this plant! I use them as borders, and around trees. They make an awesome ground cover that doesn't mind being mowed, or occasionally driven over. One of the earliest bloomers in the spring. When I dug out the grass for one of my beds, that part of the lawn was about 50% Oxalis. I separated all of the bulbs from the grass roots and put them back in the bed. Did that last spring and after just one year, it's packed with pink flowers. When I want space for something else as I acquire plants for this new area, it's easy to move since they are bulbs. I've been moving a lot of it this spring to put around trees and shrubs so DH can stop trying to get so close to the trunks with the mower. If planted thickly enough, it's one of few plants that can actually help control grass with the thick bulbs and taller, earlier foliage.

Looks very pretty with Myosotis. (The tomato cage is ugly but stops our dog from laying in the flower bed.)

Not really a house plant though, if you'd like to keep it, I'd recommend putting it back outside if you have somewhere for it.

Bookmark   April 17, 2013 at 9:59AM
More Discussions
Advice for my almost dead aglaonema
Please help me nurse this plant back. It was given...
Kelby Miller
Do I have natural original Chlorophytum comosum?
I have bought Chlorophytum comosum but I don't know...
dert17
Spider plant vs Mother-in-Law's Tongue: Day vs Night
I know that Spider plant and Mother-in-Law's Tongue...
dert17
Moisture Meter?
I have a mechanical moisture meter, and it has increasingly...
trclac
What is wrong with my dieffenbachia?
It looks droopy. And leaves are yellowing one by one....
bluehaven_gweb
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™