onion question

gdnh(5)August 23, 2012

I possibly mistakenly bought a box of Dutch onion sets just now. Should I plant them now and have them over winter or keep the box and plant in the spring? Will they keep if I plan to plant next year?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ltilton

Can you sell them to someone living in a warmer zone?

They probably won't keep over the winter. If you plant them now, they're likely to go to seed next year instead of bulbing.

Bookmark   August 23, 2012 at 10:11AM
farmerdill

These are typically used for green onions(scallions)so you may have time for that before the ground freezes. with a little protection ( mulch and or covering) you may be able to overwinter them for early spring scallions. They will quickly bolt in the spring, but they have a strong tendency to do that even when planted in the spring.

Bookmark   August 23, 2012 at 1:02PM
jrslick (North Central Kansas, Zone 5B)

Just wondering, did you recently buy these onion sets? Did you happen to buy them online? I like to plant onion sets in the fall for green onions. Then I keep them in our high tunnels all winter and use them. I have started some Scallions (Evergreen Hardy White) from seed, but they always seem to take a long time to grow. I haven't been able to find any sets to bridge the gap from now until the scallions are ready.

Jay

Bookmark   August 23, 2012 at 3:42PM
gdnh(5)

I bought them at my local hardware store now I planted them I saw they were real dry and dustylooking so not sure anything will comeout

Bookmark   August 24, 2012 at 1:05PM
More Discussions
Placement of soaker hoses
Hi everyone :) I just started a new veg patch. I made...
mystmaiden
what varieties of watermelons are you growing?
what varieties of watermelons are you growing?
gridgardener
What's up with these basil plants?
I planted these into my garden bed a week ago. I’ve...
Kim Kimura
What's Growing On Inside This Winter
Been getting all my vegetables started for my spring/summer...
onkloudnyne
Planting where dog used to poop
We haven't had a god in two years. Is it okay to plant...
Theresa24
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™