Newbie are these plants woodland or rainforest

NY718April 14, 2012

I am trying to build a woodland and a rainforest terrarium. My goal is to show a mini ecosystem of woodlands vs rainforest plants. I am unsure which terrarium woodland or rainforest ( mini ecosystem) plants should be placed. African violets, Hypoestes, spider plants, basil and parsley. I plan on leaving the top off on the woodland terrarium and leaving the top on for the rainforest terrarium.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Basil and parley don't qualify for either of those ecosystems. Think in terms of sunny Mediterranean environments.

Forest ecosystems would include many plants that are not suited to indoor culture at all. I guess I am really stumped by that one. What are you trying to achieve with this one?

Your rain forest terrarium could include ferns, epiphytes, pilea, orchids, mosses, really...any number of your very common tropical house plants.

Bookmark   April 14, 2012 at 11:01PM
NY718

It's for a science fair project.

Bookmark   April 14, 2012 at 11:10PM
gravyboots(7B)

Hi,

Some plants that might be suitable for your woodland planting would be ferns, mosses, maybe ivy, oxalis (shamrock), lilies.

African violets might not like terrarium living. Spider plants would probably be happier in the lid-off situation, but they have roots that store lots of water & like well-drained soils, and pots with holes.

Good luck with your project!
GB

Bookmark   April 14, 2012 at 11:10PM
rina_

You may have searched web, but if not here are few links with plant suggestions:

How To Make A Plant Terrarium

http://books.google.ca/books?id=jZvsnsLIkNsC&pg=PA203&lpg=PA203&dq=woodland+terrarium+plants&source=bl&ots=iiwaerHScA&sig=wUth2_Hw8oDT_KEoPyEhEJIHabY&hl=en&sa=X&ei=sbuKT5S1O-Tg0QGMqKjOCQ&ved=0CFkQ6AEwBzgK#v=onepage&q=woodland%20terrarium%20plants&f=false

q=woodland+terrarium+plants&hl=en&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=6bqKT_66MYfp0gHrxYX5CQ&sqi=2&ved=0CHkQsAQ&biw=1262&bih=574

Good luck with your project - maybe you can post some photos when finished?
Rina

Bookmark   April 15, 2012 at 8:27AM
More Discussions
Avocado Plant Dying
I bought this grafted dwarf Wurtz avocado tree this...
nobbyv77
P. erubescens: smaller and ever smaller
Hello, all. I posted this in the Aroid Forum but the...
fakechuchi
My Calathea is blooming - hehe
Flowers look pretty good!
jujujojo_gw
Do you like Cineraria with larger flowers?
I love spring Cineraria. I love this too -
jujujojo_gw
Advice for house plant --- very little sunshine, pics included
Would any of these plants work for a bedroom that gets...
bob131313
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™