Gritty mix for peace liily?

CJ-Speciosa(7a)April 17, 2013

What do you guys think? I know they are water loving plants....do you think it would keep them wet enough?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dellis326 (Danny)

No. Your spathes will dry too fast. You'll need to water it almost everyday.

Either add something that will hold more moisture to it or use just the turface (or equivalent) with nothing else and set it in a half to one inch of water and keep it sitting in the water all the time. This would be the same as growing it passive or semi hydroponically.

Bookmark   April 17, 2013 at 11:36AM
dellis326 (Danny)

No. Your spathes will dry too fast. You'll need to water it almost everyday.

Either add something that will hold more moisture to it or use just the turface (or equivalent) with nothing else and set it in a half to one inch of water and keep it sitting in the water all the time. This would be the same as growing it passive or semi hydroponically.

Bookmark   April 17, 2013 at 11:38AM
CJ-Speciosa(7a)

I thought so.

Is there any benefit to changing out the mix then? I mean, the potting soil I have it in holds plenty of water. And when I water it and the excess fills the saucer underneath, it is sucked back up in two days or so.

In your opinion, do you see any benefit from using a grittier mix like the turface? I have no problem swapping it out, but only if it's going to add benefit to the plant.

Bookmark   April 17, 2013 at 12:00PM
Laura Robichaud

This is my experience....
I have a small Spath that I've had for about 3 years. It was in regular peaty potting soil. It never bloomed. Although it grew, the leaves were thin and the tips were dried and brown. Right before winter, I planted the Spath in 5-1-1 mix. I can water copiously because it drains well. The new leaves are full with no brown tips and I have at least 3 blooms emerging. Compare the old and new leaves.

Bookmark   April 17, 2013 at 1:32PM
CJ-Speciosa(7a)

Thanks for the feedback.

With all that bark, does the mix stay wet? I'm assuming the 5-1-1 mix is a better choice because it holds a bit more water?

I think I may try it.

Bookmark   April 17, 2013 at 3:57PM
Laura Robichaud

Yes, it stays moist and I only water it roughly twice a week. It's certainly a richer mix than the gritty mix. I love the gritty mix for my cacti and succulents. I use the bark-based mix for my PL and jungle cacti.

You see the difference in my plant.

Bookmark   April 17, 2013 at 5:54PM
More Discussions
Adenium seedlings
HI all, I haven't posted here in a couple years now......
ttkidd
Advice needed - Frostbitten Schefflera
Hi all. Seven days ago, I moved house and took a couple...
massakyr - Zone 2b
Zebra cactus update - still not looking great?
Ok, so I first posted at the end of January about my...
niknac
Spider plant vs Mother-in-Law's Tongue: Day vs Night
I know that Spider plant and Mother-in-Law's Tongue...
dert17
What is this?
Noticed today that my 'perfect' Spider plant of the...
MrBlubs
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™