Tomatoes soft on bottom, okay to eat?

Yessabub(5A)August 28, 2013

I'm having the hardest time telling what is okay to eat or not. Most of my tomatoes are ripening now but lots that look good are soft on the bottom? Are these rotting or are they ok to eat?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
donna_in_sask

Is the bottom discoloured, like a dark spot? Could be blossom end rot - I usually throw those ones out.

Bookmark   August 28, 2013 at 11:01AM
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

Depends on what is causing them to go soft on the bottom. It could be many thing from just left on the vine too long to a disease. Post a picture of a couple of them.

If you pick your tomatoes at color break and let them finish ripening inside instead then you don't have to worry about disease or pest or weather damage causes. If you do any reading over on the Growing Tomato forum here you'll find that most experienced tomato growers do that.

Dave

Bookmark   August 28, 2013 at 12:09PM
springtogarden(6)

I have been letting mine ripen indoors and they taste fantastic, nothing like store-bought. I agree with Dan. Let them ripen indoors once they start color breaking.

Bookmark   August 28, 2013 at 8:31PM
Yessabub(5A)

Here's a pic of them

Bookmark   August 30, 2013 at 7:17PM
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

Well the tops of them have what is called yellow shoulders and uneven ripening. Those conditions are caused by poor growing conditions - primarily overly wet soil, temperature extremes, low potassium, inconsistent soil moisture levels and periods of excessive heat or cold. You can learn much more about it over on the Growing Tomatoes forum here..

The one bottom showing that looks like it might have some soft spots is also caused by uneven ripening. The soft spots have ripened much faster than the rest of the fruit. Just cut the soft spots out and eat the rest.

Again you can eliminate some of this by picking the fruit at color break so that it isn't exposed to the temperature extremes and by stabilizing your soil moisture levels better.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Causes of uneven ripening and yellow shoulders

Bookmark   August 30, 2013 at 7:53PM
More Discussions
Artichoke Failure, HELP!!!
I am in zone 7a, middle TN, and attempting to grow...
Trinacria
Placement of soaker hoses
Hi everyone :) I just started a new veg patch. I made...
mystmaiden
Walnut mulch for raised vegetable garden pathways
Just had a walnut stump ground down. Is it safe to...
burtman23
weed or seedling
In the area of this seedling my daughter put radish...
sepulvd
Storing onion sets
I purchased a bag of onion sets for growing as green...
rgress
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™