Peace Lily Getting Ready For Spring HELP

soughtseven1035April 1, 2014

Hey guys,
I bought my peace lily last fall and its about to be spring here in Zone 6. I was scared when my first yellow leaf died, but about 5 new shoots came up with new leaves, so it made me happy.

Recently though, I have 2 old large leaves that have been wilted and I was trying to figure out why. I noticed a new leaf forming between the two of them, which is most likely why they are dying.

This new leaf is sandwiched between the stems and growing a leaf in there. What do I do? Do I just wait until the leaf comes through and the old stems die off, or do I cut the stems off so the new leaf can have room to grow?
Pic attached.

This post was edited by soughtseven1035 on Tue, Apr 1, 14 at 10:34

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Photo Synthesis

I would just leave them alone. As long as they're not dead, those leaves will still continue to photosynthesize and provide energy for the plant. Plus, letting the leaves die back naturally will give the plant a chance to reabsorb much needed nutrients and chlorophyll back from those leaves, to reuse again in the new growth. Much the same way that trees do with their leaves in Autumn (causing them to change color), so they can reuse them again in Spring when they put out new growth. Without having to expend any more resources than what is needed.

Bookmark   April 1, 2014 at 12:58PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
soughtseven1035

Thanks for the educated reply. That was my feeling on what to do, just wanted a confirmation.

Bookmark   April 1, 2014 at 3:25PM
More Discussions
Avocado Plant Dying
I bought this grafted dwarf Wurtz avocado tree this...
nobbyv77
umbrella plant care
I recently bought an indoor umbrella plant just like...
desdurso
mini indoor palm tree dilemma help please!
Hey guys, I have a mini palm tree in my bedroom. It...
queenofhearts3
P. erubescens: smaller and ever smaller
Hello, all. I posted this in the Aroid Forum but the...
fakechuchi
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™