Please identify this plant

roseperson(z5 S/E MI)April 13, 2013

I saw this plant in my Dentist's office on 4/13/2013 and love it. Could you please identify this plant and suggest a mail-order source where I could get one from? From ground level to the tip of the flower it is about 2 feet tall (may be a little less); the leaves are symmetrical on left and right only.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jean001a(Portland OR 7b)

Clivia

Bookmark   April 13, 2013 at 12:24PM
pirate_girl(Zone7 NYC)

I agree that it's a Clivia, just lovely.

I don't know if you're a beginner w/ plants. I haven't found these easy to grow, am trying again, but you may wish to read up on its requirements & see if you'll be able to meet them before buying one. They're not that quick to bloom either from what I've heard.

Perhaps the dentist's office where you saw it can suggest care info. & a source they used.

Bookmark   April 13, 2013 at 9:59PM
theficuswrangler(9/10)

Yes, ask your dentist where they got it. My guess is that it came from a florist, because the conditions in the office would not be conducive to the life and flowering of clivias. But if you want to take on a big plant project, do some research, then get yourself one and have at it.

Bookmark   April 13, 2013 at 10:29PM
mrlike2u(**)

I wouldn't put to much stock in clivia cultivation advice from a dentist office and even less from the place that sold it to the office.

Yes It's a Clivia miniata as mentioned it's a big plant growing project Link to some Cliva selections

Bookmark   April 14, 2013 at 8:24AM
More Discussions
Fittonia - ID & Care
Here's another plant I just bought. I'd appreciate...
bobv2
What to do with Alocasia tubers?
As the lower leaves on my Alocasia poly died over time,...
greentoe357
Does anyone know the name of this plant?
Does anyone know the name of this plant?
Aran Yeo
Dracaenas Identify & Care
Here are two plants that I know are Dracaenas but I...
bobv2
"Heirloom" geraniums, coleus, impatiens etc.
perhaps this isn't exactly a houseplant question......
grimesel1993
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™