Tradescantia "Red Hill" EA

lme5573April 17, 2014

I thought tradescantia were purple, I must be thinking of the purple and green striped plant I had years ago. I picked this one up today, and it's not purple, and it's all fuzzy. I checked on Exotic Angel's site, and they show a picture of Red Hill, but it's purple and green. Hmmm.
Then I checked on GW, and discovered that nobody here knows what it is , either.
This version of Red Hill seems to have narrow long leaves, and in spite of the shine, it's fuzzy. Should I put it in more light? Less light? I'm taking a page from PurpleinOpp and want to make a hanging basket for my back porch. Coleus, this tradescantia, and maybe a little pilea.
It's been a long winter, I'm ready to get started with some plantings.!
Lennie in Michigan

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL(8B AL)

Nice! I hope you enjoy your hanging basket as much as I do mine!

I've gotten 2 quite different plants labeled 'Red Hill' from EA. The one that looks like your pic (though wasn't nearly as full/developed) got dropped a couple months ago, hasn't looked right since. If I see another one, I'll pick it up. Never did get to see the flowers on that.

The other one seems to be T. blossfeldiana and I *think* it's still around here somewhere... (IDK where anything is for sure @ the moment, except the hat on my head, moving this weekend.) Stopped by here while taking a break from packing, pleasant surprise.

IDK why EA has such trouble with their plant names (or why they call genera species.)

Bookmark   April 17, 2014 at 2:43PM
lme5573

Thanks! I'll be sure to post if it ever blooms.
Good luck with the move, hope it goes as planned and nothing is lost for very long.

Lennie

Bookmark   April 17, 2014 at 3:52PM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL(8B AL)

I think your plant may be Cyanotis somaliensis. Many of these little hairy "Red Hill' plants have bloomed 'out there' and that's what they seem to be. Look up the blooms, you'll know they're different from Tradescantia if they show up - feathery petals!

Bookmark   June 4, 2014 at 4:05PM
lme5573

Thanks for thinking of my plant, but sad to say "Red Hill" died a spectacular death. I watered it once, and it started to rot. It turned shiny and gooey and rotted piece by piece. It was amazing, I could do nothing to stop it. Finally, I took cuttings and tried to grow some in soil, others in water. They all rotted, except one tiny piece in a small pot in my kitchen window. It has 3 leaves, and I basically dribble water into the pot when I think of it.
Thank goodness I didn't spend more than $4 on it, but it still ticks me off. Anyway, I think I have stopped buying house plants at my grocery store for now.
Thanks,
Lennie

Bookmark   June 5, 2014 at 9:03PM
More Discussions
Options to water the plant while away from office .
Dear All Would like to know your opinions on any options...
lukein123
Worried about my Philodendren, Please help!
Hi there everyone. I loved the help that I got about...
huskymom87
House Plants
Dracaenta Marginata
davers71
Only 1/2 of a schefflera remaining...
4 years ago, I adopted this schefflera from a bank...
greenintrigue
Pachira browning
Hi, all! My Pachira needs help. The trunk is not soft...
deborahsab
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™