Spinach sprouting or weeds?

ginamaegrow(5b)August 23, 2014

I just posted a similar question regarding my romaine lettuce (excuse my very limited knowledge its my very first yr gardening!) but I'm having the same issue with my spinach deciphering what is a spinach sprouting and what is a weed. I weeded thoroughly before planting so I'm not sure why there's so many weeds popping up.. I mixed in gardening soil mix, compost, and peat moss into my regular soil before planting. It has now been 2 weeks and this is what has grown.. Package said 7-10 days so it seems like its taking a while considering I planted a TON of seeds planning on thinning them out later. Any advice or input as to what is what in this pic would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

As said in your other post on the question you will have to wait a bit longer to tell which is which for sure but in your pic there is one clear spinach plant in the top left hand corner - the one with the long skinny darker green leaves.

Next time clear out all the weeds well first.

Dave

Bookmark   August 23, 2014 at 11:42AM
ltilton

Spinach seedlings are easy to identify - the leaflets are elongated and bright emerald green. I see a couple in your photo.

Lettuce seedlings. unfortunately, are easy to mistake for weeds, but the first pair of true leaves from romaine should be identifiable.

Unfortunately, the act of clearing weeds to prepare for new seeds only encourages some weed seeds to sprout - notably the Abominable Purslane.

Bookmark   August 23, 2014 at 1:53PM
Peter1142(Zone 6b)

Looks like weeds to me except the one dave mentioned

Bookmark   August 23, 2014 at 5:54PM
thekingjp

I'm not positive of what either one of them are on both of your posts but may I suggest that next time you drop the seedlings in a line or a row that way it's easier to identify what is what.

Bookmark   August 24, 2014 at 3:42AM
More Discussions
weed or seedling
In the area of this seedling my daughter put radish...
sepulvd
New garden: Cheap raised beds or quality large planters?
Hi all, Starting to plan the garden this year, which...
pegleg48
pepper problems
Hey everyone! My pepper blossoms are falling off! I...
Ankjlkhu Bkjjghfy
What's Growing On Inside This Winter
Been getting all my vegetables started for my spring/summer...
onkloudnyne
what varieties of watermelons are you growing?
what varieties of watermelons are you growing?
gridgardener
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™