Cucumbers have lost vigor

Ash7681August 12, 2013

My cucumber wines (two, side-by-side) have been growing like crazy and producing big juicy cucumbers all summer, but have suddenly lost vigor in the last two weeks. They were growing strong in-spite of mildew problem (which I have remedied using neem oil spray). Now, they have completely stopped flowering or growing any further.

I am a newbie and would like to know if the end of season for cucumber is upon us (I live in SF Bay Area and the weather has gotten a bit cooler lately). Or if the mildew does permanent damage to the growth of the plant.

Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ltilton

Probably both factors at work.

Bookmark   August 12, 2013 at 12:54PM
gdnh(5)

The same happening to mine I think they go strong for a certain period then just give up due to therir own version of old age.

Bookmark   August 14, 2013 at 1:26PM
Ash7681

They seem to be coming back to life. Just got a big juicy cucumber grow in less than a week and more flowers are sprouting at the growing end. Probably was the mildew problem that got to them earlier.

Bookmark   August 21, 2013 at 1:23AM
seysonn(8a WA/HZ 1)

If they look green and healthy, give them some fertilizer(Bloom booster type) and water regularly. Keep spraying Neem oil regularly too.

But normally, cukes have a short life span. Even without disease they get tired and stop producing. The start producing awkward shaped fruits. That is why staggered planting makes sense.

This post was edited by seysonn on Thu, Aug 22, 13 at 7:12

Bookmark   August 21, 2013 at 1:35AM
ltilton

My first planting of cukes has looked awful for a month. The last few cukes were misshapen and then for a couple of weeks, nothing. I was ready to pull the vines, except that up at the top there were healthy looking new sprouts.

So I waited, and now I see new cukes growing. It's like the vines needed a 2nd wind. And yes fertilized and watered to give them a boost.

Bookmark   August 21, 2013 at 9:19PM
RPost78(8A)

Mine have all but stopped producing too! Now I'm just focusing on my peppers! They are doing good.

Bookmark   August 27, 2013 at 3:34PM
More Discussions
Sincere Question - Why Participate?
If I had found this site from doing a web search because...
soilent_green
Fertilising
Hello All, I am planning my winter crop (live in New...
bopwinter
Melon transplants or direct seed?
I've read and heard conflicting info on this... what...
formerly_creativeguy
Can I use grape leaves as mulch?
I have alot of chopped and dried grape vine leaves....
zzackey
Who uses hog/cattle panels for Tomato Trellis? Need some advice
Hello, I'm close to going with some kind of livestock...
srj19
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™