Scale?

ashley05 (MI zone 6a)(6a)April 30, 2014

I just got this plant and noticed the black spots after I got it home. Are they scale? A fungus? Is there anything I can do about them or is this plant a goner? I think this plant is a schefflera if that makes a difference (it was marked "coffee arabica", but it is most definitely not that).

Sigh. See what I get for buying on impulse?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
plantomaniac08(8)

Not scale, but I'm not sure what it is. Does it come off with a wet rag?

Planto

Bookmark   April 30, 2014 at 2:19PM
ashley05 (MI zone 6a)(6a)

Nope. I also tried scraping it off gently with my fingernail and it doesn't come off that way either.

Bookmark   April 30, 2014 at 2:37PM
plantomaniac08(8)

Hmm... I'm not sure then. I had something similar on a Schefflera once, but it came off with a wet rag. Can you return the plant?

Planto

Bookmark   April 30, 2014 at 3:28PM
elkay_gw

I had something kinda similar show up on one of my scheffleras, only it was reddish in color and seemed to only affect some of the new growth. I couldn't find out what it was and it eventually disappeared on it's own.

Bookmark   April 30, 2014 at 3:37PM
ashley05 (MI zone 6a)(6a)

Planto-I could take it back, but I only paid $3.

elkay-This is on the oldest growth, closest to the soil line only, but it does look similar.

Could it be damage from a chemical used to treat it for sale, or maybe shipping damage? My biggest worry was that it could spread to my other plants. I have this in the same room as several others, but not too close. I'll keep an eye on it and see if it spreads or goes away.

Bookmark   April 30, 2014 at 9:50PM
plantomaniac08(8)

Hmm, do they have another one? I see them around here a dime a dozen, but that's not always the case for everyone else. I'd keep it away from your other plants in the meantime if you decide to keep it, just in case. If it doesn't spread, I guess it was nothing?

Planto

Bookmark   April 30, 2014 at 11:13PM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

What does the upper surface of the foliage look like? And what does the whole plant look like?

It's possible to buy a plant on an impulsive whim yet still take ten seconds to examine it. :-) Learn what scale insects actually look like, and mealybugs, and a spider mite infestation....and leave those problems at the store.

This post was edited by rhizo_1 on Thu, May 1, 14 at 6:57

Bookmark   May 1, 2014 at 6:50AM
More Discussions
Parlor palm (Chamaedorea elegans) seeds, male vs. female
Though they bloom like crazy, this is the first time...
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL
Peace Lily
i want to try and grow peace lily plant from seed,...
lulu627
Peace Lily -Black Leaves
This is a repost from 2005! I've reviewed every thread...
sylvan
Pepperomia
i have been struggling with this ornery little persnickity...
suyoder
Moister Measurement
I recall having a very useful tool that I could stick...
bobv2
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™