Watermelon issues

mudman93(3)August 13, 2011

I am growing Baby Doll hybrid this year (a yellow variety) and when I picked the first one even though all signs said it was ripe it was white inside and not sweet at all. Now the others on the vine have started cracking open and they are still white inside and do not smell sweet. What is going on. I have never had this issue with the reds. It seems that if they split they should be ripe.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bsntech(5b)

what kind of conditions were they grown in? Temperature-wise, full sun, and how often did you water?

I have some crimson sweet watermelon that are looking good - but have issues with trying to figure out when they are ready to be picked.Affordable Web Design

Here is a link that might be useful: BsnTech Gardening Blog

Bookmark   August 13, 2011 at 3:37PM
mudman93(3)

I think this season has been great for the melons this year- hot, humid, and plenty of rain. I have not had to water my garden since spring. I grew CS the last 2 years with no issues.

Bookmark   August 13, 2011 at 4:13PM
wayne_5 zone 6a Central Indiana

I would go back to what works for you.

Bookmark   August 13, 2011 at 4:20PM
mudman93(3)

It was my five year old son who wanted to grow them. He loves yellow and he loves watermelon.

Bookmark   August 15, 2011 at 1:37PM

Yellow Doll might be better then.

Bookmark   August 15, 2011 at 2:50PM
mudman93(3)

I believe Baby Doll is a hybrid with Yellow Doll as one of the parents.

Bookmark   August 15, 2011 at 4:54PM
farmerdill

Yellow Doll is also a hybrid. Yellow Doll is avery good melon. There are also many open pollinated yellow flesh watermelons including a yellow fleshed version of Crimson Sweet I have not grown Baby Doll, but some varieties are notorius for splitting before they ripen. TastiGold is the worst for splitting that I have ever grown.

Bookmark   August 15, 2011 at 6:44PM
edweather(Zone 5a/b Central NY)

Cream of Saskatchewan (sic) is also a high pressure watermelon. I read that about them, and sure enough, all you have to do is tap them when ripe and they split right open.

Bookmark   August 15, 2011 at 9:36PM
mudman93(3)

About three or four of them have split open since starting this post and all have been white and not ripe. At least I have figured out how to grow them up north. I wont be trying any more yellows anytime soon though.

Bookmark   August 15, 2011 at 11:37PM

This splitting thing is strange to me. The only one I ever had split was a worthless baby type [Smile]in 2005.

Bookmark   August 16, 2011 at 1:14PM
rayrose(8)

Sometimes rain or watering in the afternoon will cause some melons to split.

Bookmark   August 17, 2011 at 8:47AM
mandolls(4)

I have Yellow Doll growing for the first time this year. I havent picked any, but have one that must be getting close. It is almost the size of a bowling ball, which is bigger than I thought they grew. Are there any sure signs telling you when to pick? I have been waiting for the nearest climbing tendril to go brown, but no signs of that yet. When I thump it, it sounds like I expect a ripe melon to sound, but .......I really dont know. Any tips would be appreciated.

Bookmark   August 17, 2011 at 9:07AM

Mandolls...If you are in Z4, definitely wait at least until the first week of Sept. The tendril turning brown imo is not a good indicator of ripeness. It takes a while after that. Usually trial and error is the best way with any particular watermelon maturity dates, or growing year. I have a small 4 pounder growing. I've seen watermelons for sale at local veggie stands, so mine might be ripe (or over ripe), but it's only a best guess. I'm going to crack mine open today.

Bookmark   August 17, 2011 at 12:49PM
Angelicisi(8)

So I have a similar issue :-( been babying my babies (only set 2 fruits) and go out daily to check n make sure bugs are kept at bay and see if they were ready...then this morning found the one pictured split like someone took a slice right out! Lol no one did! In about 16 hrs went from fat n round to split- big split too! My mistake was ysterday I afternoon watered I think for too long (forgot) So being that the trendles dried on the other one I picked it (scared it'd split too) the one pictured I took a bite out of-(ew maybe being it was split all night but had to try it) still pretty white but amazingly tasty! So I hope the intact one is ripe! (Haven't checked inside it yet still admiring the last one standing!) I'm broken hearted I lost one! My pumpkins didn't make it thru an epic SVB attack and now this...

Bookmark   July 31, 2012 at 10:46AM
Angelicisi(8)

Rip

Bookmark   July 31, 2012 at 10:49AM
dcaponegro

Maybe it slipped and fell on the tile :)

RIP little watermelon.

Bookmark   July 31, 2012 at 12:16PM
Angelicisi(8)

Lmao! Ikr? Well I was told by a local here that grows them to slip a tile or flat stone underneath to keep it from soil contact O.o so I listened- this was my 1st attempt at these watermelons lol I'll have to put those lil non slip bath tub stickers on there for um! Hahahaha

Bookmark   July 31, 2012 at 1:18PM

Splitting is one thing I don't have trouble with though I've seen my share of disease. Watermelons don't need things placed under them. Cantaloupes maybe if you don't rotate them [turn them].

Bookmark   July 31, 2012 at 1:39PM

Not sure what caused your watermelon to split, but I do know that certain varieties are pressurized more than others. Cream of Sasketchewan is a white fleshed watermelon that must be handled gently as it ripens or it will pop open. When I harvested one, just for the grins I tapped it with a knife handle, and sure enough it split right open.

Bookmark   August 1, 2012 at 12:52AM
flagirl69

I know this is an older post,but I live in zone 9 (NE Florida) and my first attempt at a new
home with Black Diamond and C.S. .Scared be cause neighbors have split.Mine are only the size of a softball,and I was told he liked to " fondle" his,lol.Also dont know what variety hes attempting
. Tons of rain lately and am getting nervous.Are these pretty sturdy varieties for the south?Thanks!

Bookmark   July 3, 2013 at 9:23AM
rayrose(8)

Yes they are, but as I posted before, rain and afternoon watering will cause melons to split. If Black Diamond don't grow to above 25 lbs, they won't ripen, and you've got a wasted melon. I've stopped growing it, because of that. There are better varieties to grow.

Bookmark   July 3, 2013 at 10:12AM
ltilton

Don't know where you are, but a lot of the US has had flooding rains for most of the growing season. That will make them split.

I've grown Yellow Doll several times, and it's never done that, but I wouldn't be surprised if it did, with weather like this year.

Bookmark   July 3, 2013 at 10:13AM
More Discussions
New garden: Cheap raised beds or quality large planters?
Hi all, Starting to plan the garden this year, which...
pegleg48
Boo hoo! Purple sprouting broccoli didn't survive the winter!
I was looking forward to early broccoli this year....
ffreidl z5a
Planting two seeds. Should I keep both?
I've always heard you should plant 2-3 seeds per container...
asunk00
What's up with these basil plants?
I planted these into my garden bed a week ago. I’ve...
Kim Kimura
what do I do with sprouting sweet potatoes?
It way to early to plant the sprouts.. need to be near...
jeanwedding
Sponsored Products
Spider-Man Issue #50 Wrapped Canvas
$64.99 | zulily
Waterproof Neutral White LED Neon, by the 20m Reel
EnvironmentalLights.com
Borders Hand-Tufted Watermelon Wool Rug (8'0 x 10'0)
Overstock.com
Nourison Modern Art MDR03 Area Rug - Sandstone - 11538
$154.99 | Hayneedle
Americh Tucci 6638 Tub (66" x 38" x 22")
Modern Bathroom
Steam Spa Oasis Package for Steam Spa 4.5kW Steam Generators in Oil Rubbed Bronz
Beyond Stores
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™