How long should I wait before I repot some newly purchased plants

deliveryboy10April 22, 2009

I bought some 'flamingo' and peace lilies in 4" containers at Home Depot right after Easter and want to know if I should repot them immediately or should I wait and let them adjust to my home environment first.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Mentha(9 CA)

I usually repot a plant as soon as it comes home, Usually plants come in a high peat based soil which I really don't care for, it causes fungus gnats & dries to a brick if I forget to water every day. I can also check roots & take a good look at leaves & stems for diseases or bugs.

Bookmark   April 22, 2009 at 5:32PM
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

It depends on whether or not they NEED repotting. I'm not being a smart aleck - there's no sense in creating problems by potting-up unnecessarily into a too-large container.

Most plants take potting-up easily in stride because it's less traumatic than a full repot. If they need it - go ahead & pot up. These plants won't benefit much from a period of acclimation to the new surroundings.

Al

Bookmark   April 22, 2009 at 5:35PM
hort_lvr_4life

If they're rootbound, by all means, go for it! If they aren't then you're welcome to change the soil and place in different, but same-sized pot. It just depends on what effort you have the time and desire for. Changing soil can help evict the possible pests. I like to water my plants before I repot/change soil and wet the new soil after the move. It kinda helps keep the roots in place and they're less brittle and sensitive. You don't have to do the pre-watering though.

Bookmark   April 22, 2009 at 6:47PM
More Discussions
Fiddle Leaf Ficus brown edges, lighter color veins
I have the Fiddle Leaf Ficus for 2 years now. It was...
vlauz7b
Can i repot a pothos by sticking it in a larger pot and adding soil?
I have some pothos that are in 4 inch pots. I need...
tlbean2004
A lighter gritty mix and a 5-1-1 question
Hey, So I love gritty mix and only have a few plants...
hottomato99
Pachira browning
Hi, all! My Pachira needs help. The trunk is not soft...
deborahsab
I believe this is a corn plant... it's blooming and very frangrant!
I recently acquired this house plant from someone that...
kinziestarr
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™