Is my calla lily going to be okay?

Ashleylovesgreen(5)April 14, 2014

My boyfriend gave me this calla lily in September. It had beautiful orange flowers. When the flowers died I decided to save the plant because it was still green and alive. Is it past it's saving point? I know it probably needs more light, I live in Ohio and until it gets warmer it needs to stay inside, I put it in the sunniest spot possible but we haven't had many sunny days yet.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pirate_girl(Zone7 NYC)

It might do better if you take off the decorative foil. Has that been on it this whole time? If so, that could certainly contribute to drainage problems.

Bookmark   April 14, 2014 at 9:36PM
summersunlight(5b)

Yes, take the foil off so that it doesn't sit in water. If the soil is constantly wet it can cause rot.

Bookmark   April 14, 2014 at 10:09PM
Dzitmoidonc(6)

Also definitely needs better light. It won't bloom again unless it gets a rest. For this to happen, quit watering it. (Shoulda happened last fall.) The leaves will die. Then after a couple of weeks, replant it in some new damp soil and wait a bit before watering it. You should see new growth. The corm should be planted close to the surface of the pot. Set it out where it will get at least a few hours of full sun and about 1/2 day of light shade. They come from a region where there is a great amount of water part of the year and almost none the rest of the time.

Bookmark   April 14, 2014 at 10:49PM
plantomaniac08(8)

I was going to remark that these die in the winter and come back in the Spring (at least here they do). My MIL has some planted in her garden that come back every year after a winter's rest.

Planto

Bookmark   April 15, 2014 at 9:45AM
Ashleylovesgreen(5)

Thank you for everyone's help.

Bookmark   April 16, 2014 at 4:44PM
More Discussions
Moister Measurement
I recall having a very useful tool that I could stick...
bobv2
Pepperomia
i have been struggling with this ornery little persnickity...
suyoder
Advice needed - Frostbitten Schefflera
Hi all. Seven days ago, I moved house and took a couple...
massakyr - Zone 2b
Rubber tree plant questions
Hi all, I have a rubber tree plant that I'm trying...
dbforr
Can anyone help identify this plant?
I was given this plant a while back from my mother-in-law...
Danielle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™