mango update

marricgardensApril 6, 2013

A few months ago I decided to start a mango from seed. Apparently there are 2 kinds of mangos, both are growing well but one has thick dark green leaves that feel almost like stiff plastic. The other one is growing just as tall, has similar shaped leaves except they are paler green and thinner textured, almost papery. The one on the left also has smaller spaces between the leaf nodes and the one on the right has alternate leaves. I'm hoping the left one will grow into a nice shape when I start pinching it. It did look funny at first when the stem was 4" tall and the leaves were hanging halfway down the sides of the pot! Marg

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
greenlarry(UK 8/9)

Wow cool, I wonder how big they will grow! Should be able to keep them fairly small though.

Bookmark   April 7, 2013 at 6:57AM
marricgardens

I plan to keep it in the sunroom and start pruning when it gets a bit taller. DH says to just let it go but when I told him he may have to raise the roof he changed his mind LOL. Anyway, I think it may make for an interesting houseplant.

Bookmark   April 7, 2013 at 7:52AM
greenlarry(UK 8/9)

It might be possible, when it gets bigger, at repotting time to trim it hard and also trim the roots, then put it back in the same pot but with fresh soil. Not sure it works for all plants but i dont see why not (some plants, notably palms, dont like having their roots interfered with)

Bookmark   April 7, 2013 at 9:18AM
More Discussions
Will the aphids come back on my overwintered potted strawberry plants?
I had a severe aphid infestation on my potted strawberry...
malsprower
Advice for my almost dead aglaonema
Please help me nurse this plant back. It was given...
Kelby Miller
Brown Leaf Spots on Dracaena
Hi all, I have a dracaena fragrans that I bought at...
breadherring
"Heirloom" geraniums, coleus, impatiens etc.
perhaps this isn't exactly a houseplant question......
grimesel1993
Do I have natural original Chlorophytum comosum?
I have bought Chlorophytum comosum but I don't know...
dert17
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™