Need help to ID this plant

auron22(6b OH)April 18, 2012

My dads fiance prevented her work from throwing this plant out and she fell in love with it so kept it in a water bottle filled with water over winter at her office and finally brought it home today. I assume it's been in there for 6 months. She says the flowers are hot pink, i tried researching it but i can barely find where to start. She wants to plant it outside, but i'd hate to see it survive so long in bad conditions just to die. Lemme see if i can post an image, i'm new to posting on these forums.

Here is a link that might be useful: Unknown plant photo

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL(8B AL)

Wax begonia would be my vote. A perennial, but I don't know if it's hardy in zone 6.

Bookmark   April 18, 2012 at 4:55PM
gravyboots(7B)

I vote Begonia too - it can go outside, but if it goes into a pot, it can come inside (or into the garage) when it gets cold. The plant will last a long time this way; it will also work for a houseplant.

GB

Bookmark   April 19, 2012 at 9:03AM
birdsnblooms

It's definately a Begonia, but don't think it's a standard Wax, the type sold at garden centers in spring. Used as edging or accent plants.

On the other hand it could be a new species.

To me it looks like a non-hardy, under z8, but I could be wrong.

Auron, if you get a chancee, go to accentsforhomeandgarden, click on Online Catalog, then click on Begonias.
7 pages of Begonias.

Yours looks like a Cane. Toni

Bookmark   April 19, 2012 at 2:22PM
auron22(6b OH)

Thank you both, i'll research begonias right away. From what little i know about them though is that very few to none survive in my zone as a perennial. I know some people that plant them as annuals. Gonna have to break the bad news to her.

Bookmark   April 19, 2012 at 2:24PM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

As was said, many begonias are very happy being grown as a permanent house plant. Though it would certainly benefit by being replanted into some good potting mix!

Bookmark   April 19, 2012 at 3:48PM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL(8B AL)

Totally agree, rhizo. Whether it's cane or wax. I just assumed it was a bedding annual wax type since it was being thrown out about 6 mos ago and continues to flower in the bottle of water. My cane quit blooming while inside but I don't have a lot of experience with either. In either case, the news is good - that she has a good *blooming* house plant if not a perennial.

The wax begonia I brought inside this past winter has been blooming non-stop since my son gave it to me on Mother's day last year. Hat off to the teacher who chose them to send home from school!

Bookmark   April 19, 2012 at 4:30PM
auron22(6b OH)

I looked at that online catalog, so many begonias! I also think it resembles the cane begonia the most. I hope it is, from this other website i'm reading, some cane begonias can become quite large and have long, if not ever blooming, blooming seasons. Exciting :)Thanks again everyone for helping me ID the plant.

Bookmark   April 20, 2012 at 8:29AM
More Discussions
Only 1/2 of a schefflera remaining...
4 years ago, I adopted this schefflera from a bank...
greenintrigue
How to make this fiddle leaf branch out.
This is a fiddle leaf that I wanted to buy on Craigslist....
Pete
Pine Bark Fines Ontario Canada
Okay...5-1-1 mix! I am having trouble. First off the...
RioSeven
Looking for the 'old' members
I see that Tisha still posts, yay! Hi! :-) I'm in touch...
hobby_libby
Dying Calathea Plant
Hello all! I have recently started getting interested...
avanns
Sponsored Products
Silvery Blue Tulips II Wall Art
$699.00 | FRONTGATE
Distratto Pendant by Trend Lighting
$120.00 | Lumens
Tulip Chair in Red
$144.99 | Dot & Bo
Cedar Spiral 4-foot Silk Tree with Decorative Vase
Overstock.com
Chalet Pot
$7.99 | zulily